weight distribution problem?

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
i have a 14ft6 fiberglass deep v with a max hp rating of 40hp. powered by an evinrude 40604r. a 1976 40hp. when im alone and at 3/4 throttle it planes nicely. when i go to wot it increases speed a little, and the boat digs in around the middle and i get alot of spray. im running on the top hole. i have tried the 3rd and 2nd and they are worse. i have my battery and fuel tank forward. i also have a 4hp johnson and an electric motor on the transom. any ideas would be appreciated. sorry i forgot to mention this is a tiller operated setup.

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: weight distribution problem?

"Normal" operation "usually" involves the second hole. I can't fathom any setup running in the top hole.

Does your motor have a "fin" on it? A 40 tiller on a 14 footer is a pretty big motor. Without seeing pics and getting more info, it sounds like your boat is just overpowered.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander

i dont have a picture of my boat and its not at home it is at my friends farm. this is the same boat as mine it is 70 inches wide and 29 inches deep and rated for 40 hp.

Attachments

• 91779907.jpg
    91779907.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 91779873_002.jpg
    91779873_002.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander

the second picture is just to show the width of the boat.mine has a 20 inch transom. i did have a fin on the motor but it just dragged and slowed me down and very hard to steer. with the fin i could run slower with the bow down but that was the only advantage i found.

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Is that 40 HP a short or long shaft engine ?

Happy Boating

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

The configuration and dimensions of your boat are quite similar to mine. Mine is rated for 25 HP in tiller.

I believe you if you say the plate says 40 HP. Nevertheless, after seeing the pics IMHO overpowering is the cause of your dilemma.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander

my motor is a long shaft. the transom is 20 inch.

Last edited:

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander

i talked to the company that made my boat. they told me that when it was made it was approved by transport canada for 40hp. they now make the same boat and it is rated for 25hp. he told me it is a weight issue with the 4 strokes weighting more. i also noticed this issue with other boats. like my nephew has a princecraft fisherman and its rated for 20hp and my friend has an older boat exactly the same with a rating of 25hp.