Ignition wiring ?

CV16

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1966 850. The ignition switch is gone from my control box. I'm trying to wire it up using a toggle switch to use as a on/off and a momentary push to power type switch for starting duties. My problem is that I don't know what wires need to be on the toggle and which on the start button. It turns over, but I get no spark at the plugs. Is there an easy check to make sure the points are working? I have power to the wires that also connect to the mercury switch so I think power is either going in to or out from the dist. I hope this link brings you to the wiring diagram I am trying to use. I know it says up to 1965, but I know my switch only had 4 poles on it, it was just fubar! This is the only diagram that is set up just like my motor looks.

http://www.maxrules.com/oldmercs/Wiring/0_1965a/8.pdf

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Ignition wiring ?

It appears that you need to have +12VDC on the light blue wire to have spark. That wiring diaghram is quite different than later models, that I am familar with.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

I dont like the fact your bypassing the neutral safety feature but the black wire is 12V to coils, light blue is choke and orange is start...

CV16

Chief Petty Officer

Why would I bypass the neutral safety? I am only going to use the toggle and push button instead of a key. The neutral safety will still be in place! And I sure wish this diagram was like every other one I have seen. Other ones say Off DE, Run AF, Start AFB. They let you know what wires need to be together to start, run and off. I hate electrical things!!!! I'll have to go check if I have 12v at the black wire, don't think I do. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

CV16

Chief Petty Officer

Black wire was it!! Runs like a new motor!!! Thanks.