roller trailer/tilt trailer questions

First time boater with some questions so bear with me please. My dads project boat is a 70s(guessing since red stripe motor) 14 foot aluminum with all roller tilt trailer. Now here come the questions

1. Should tilt function be used at a boat landing? We haven't been using it, but I noticed the bow sometimes hits the cross member

2. There is two keel rollers on the tongue but only one is in contact with the boat when trailer-ed.
What is the best way to raise up the second keel roller to help distribute the weight?

3. What is the best way to adjust the side rollers up and down? The middle rollers do not appear to be adjustable up and down.

4. The rubber rollers seem to keep getting destroyed, is this poor quality or something else?

5. We put one poly vinyl style roller on and it seems to hold up better, but I was wondering if there are any downsides like being to hard on a aluminum boat?

6. Should the outside grooves on the boat be centered in the middle on the roller in the middle or is it ok if there a little off to the side?

sorry for so many questions thanks for any help! :watermelon:

etracer68

Ensign
Re: roller trailer/tilt trailer questions

If you dont need the tilt when loading or unloading, dont use it. Sounds like your not in deep enough, if your hitting the cross member. Take some pictures, and post them, every boat trailer with boat are alittle differant.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: roller trailer/tilt trailer questions

I have owned tilt roller trailers since 1968. Anything else is second rate.

If the ramp is perfectly flat, use the tilt function. If its sloped down even slightly, the boat will roll off by itself. As long as your winch is good and the cable is strong, no need to tilt when retreiving.

Keel rollers should be adjustable. I use a scissors jack to snug them tight, then tighten the bolts.

Need a pic to see how to adjust them

Rollers get old and wear out. If new rollers get destroyed they are hitting something and ned to be adjusted. Poly rollers should be std equipment - get rid of rubber. My tinny rides on poly all the time.

Need a pic to understand "outside grooves".