PROPER bilge ventilation please!

chris650

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all! I am concerned about the ventilation system on a recently purchased boat. I have a 1978 century 5000,sterndrive. The setup that's existing goes as follows..I have a blower on the back of the transom. Adjacent to that is an unpowered hose hanging down along side the blower. I also have two louvered intakes,port and starboard,that also have hoses that hang down. Was wondering if somebody on here can give me a detailed description of what the proper setup should look like? Ive read other posts and everyone says something different. Also, the louvered intakes on the sides,shouldnt the air scoops be facing forward? It looks like somebody turned them around on my boat. Any help would be appreciated, I get bad fumes. And yes, the blower is operational. Thanks!

GWPSR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: PROPER bilge ventilation please!

The intake (unpowered) often faces forward, and exhaust (fan) faces rearward. You don't want the exhaust facing forward otherwise you would be fighting the blower while underway. The two provide cross ventilation as well as intake air for the engine at speed.

Last edited: