Below zero celcius - when to winterize?

pckeen

Commander
Hi,

I have a year old Yamaha F90 - the temperature is dipping rapidly towards freezing overnight where I am - will a drop below zero (celcius), damage the engine? The boat is still on a boatlift, and I'd like to keep it there for a few more weeks.

cpt woody

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Below zero celcius - when to winterize?

Just a couple thoughts. Freezing temps is not going to damage your outboard per say. It's the water in that will freeze and cause you problems. So I would make sure you tilt the motor in a down position and drain all the water out. If you have a garden hose connection detach and drain water out and reattach. When is the last time you had the lower unit lube changed? Water mixed in with the lube will freeze, expand and can crack your lower unit.

seaBoater

Recruit
Re: Below zero celcius - when to winterize?

Just a thought:
Distilled water will freeze at -3 -5 celsius. Dirty water is good through -10 -15. A bit of water in a lower unit will freeze below -20 celsius.
Depending on amount of water in a lower unit it may not damage your unit at all. For lower unit to crack you'd have to fill 100% of it with the water and freeze it as ice expansion rate is very low.
Using trucks in Arctic weather proved this theory right as axles do get some water inside from time to time and leaving them over night in freezing temperatures does not crack them.