Prop Guards?

Techtraveler

Seaman Apprentice
Is anyone using a Prop Guard on their boat? If so, what kind, is it problematic, cost, anything else you can tell me?

We have decided to buy a boat with an Outboard on it, but we highly considered a Jet due to the marine life around were we live. Mainly Manatees and Dolphins. Yes Dolphins can be struck by a prop. I can see how they may limit the motor some, and I am wiling to lose a few HP for this. Also, we plan on using the boat to pull tubes maybe ski, so I want to chance of someone getting in the boat having a problem.

Thanks,

TT

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Prop Guards?

I have no prop guard experience.
Have only ever seen 2 at the ramp.

Well, jets stir up the bottom in shallow areas. Here they are restricted to idle speed in many shallow areas.
Do you have similar restrictions?

Props do some stirring up as well, but people tend to drive a little more cautiously with a prop.

With an outboard powered jet, you generally lose about 1/3 of the hp, but keep the same fuel consumption.

Engine is OFF when anyone is in the water near the boat.

Techtraveler

Seaman Apprentice

I have ruled out jets completely, including Outboard Jets. I do not know of any restrictions due to shallow water in the area.

phillnjack2

Ensign

well they do exactly what they say they do
GUARD THE PROP.

But they cause a small loss in performance in certain ways and give performance in others.

yes they do stop certain damage to props, And if they are the big plastic ones they do make people realise its a dangerous area due to colours etc.

NOW THE PRICE
the plastic prop guards are way too expensive for what they are, they are very easy to break as well.
The stainless ones are expensive but will last a long time and will protect the prop more.

marine life if hit by a prop suffer terrible wounds even at low speeds, but at high speed even a prop guard will cause terrible wounds.
For people in the water prop guards are great if going slow to medium speeds, but in reverse they are usless unless the fully caged type with mesh completely enclosing the area.

as for jet units, I personally think all outboards should now be jet units for out and out safety.
it would cost less on prop damage throughout the engines life, yes they are less for performance as in a 90hp becomes a 60hp when fitted with a lower unit jet.
but simply buy a bigger hp to compensate for the loss.

when we see the damage done to humans and water creatures by propellers its terrible.

prop guards also often give false sense of security though, and people are less carefull if one is fitted to their boat.

it depends if you want to protect your prop or protect animals and humans as in what to put on that lethal set of blades spinning round

phill

Bondo

Staff member

Is anyone using a Prop Guard on their boat? If so, what kind, is it problematic, cost, anything else you can tell me?

We have decided to buy a boat with an Outboard on it, but we highly considered a Jet due to the marine life around were we live. Mainly Manatees and Dolphins. Yes Dolphins can be struck by a prop. I can see how they may limit the motor some, and I am wiling to lose a few HP for this. Also, we plan on using the boat to pull tubes maybe ski, so I want to chance of someone getting in the boat having a problem.

Thanks,

TT

Ayuh,.... That's an easy fix,... Shut the motor OFF, whenever there's Anybody in the water near the boat,....

Prop guards just give ya a False sense of safety,....
If ya run into a person or creature, even with a prop guard, it's gonna get Hurt,...

Also, if there's Any weeds in yer water, you'll spend more time pullin' weeds outa it, than boatin',...
Poppin' the motor into reverse, Won't clear the weeds like Just the prop will,....

britisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check out mptmfg.com. They manufacture prop guards designed to protect manatees. Seems like a decent product

Slip Away

Lieutenant

From TOT:

ABYC and Coast Guard join on propeller guard test September 22, 2013

A new propeller guard test developed by the Coast Guard and the American Boat and Yacht Council seeks to evaluate the effectiveness and safety of various guards.

“There really wasn’t anything out there that portrayed the performance or maneuverability of a boat, with and without a guard,” ABYC president John Adey told Trade Only Today. “This test serves as a baseline that all device manufacturers will use to evaluate their products. We’re hoping it will help consumers. Everyone just automatically thinks that a prop guard will save your life in all situations.”

The purpose was to test the viability of propeller guards across several scenarios, Adey said. “It’s a non-accident-specific test and first of its kind. The idea is that the guard manufacturers would test their guards before putting them to market. Everyone gets evaluated the same way, which is a breakthrough.”
Engine and boat manufacturers have defended themselves against lawsuits in instances of people being injured or killed by boat propellers. In a high-profile case from 2010 a federal jury ordered Brunswick Corp. to pay $3.8 million to Jacob Brochtrup after he lost part of his leg while wakeboarding.

Because propeller guards can compromise the safety of a boat, the National Marine Manufacturers Association initially opposed the test, director of environmental and safety compliance John McKnight told Trade Only.

“If you go over 15 mph on the boat, propeller guards create a very dangerous situation and it says that very clearly in the report,” McKnight said.

The guards, typically large pieces of metal added around the engine, can create buoyancy and steering issues, as well as compromising a boat’s ability to get up on plane and maintain plane, McKnight said.

“A good analogy would be putting a guard on a propeller plane,” McKnight said. “People have been hit with them. It would be all right to drive the plane around the runway, but don’t try to take off or you’ll die. This could be a tool if someone does design a propeller guard that actually works under all conditions of a vessel.”

In the past, there had been several “snake oil salesmen designing guards in their garage,” McKnight said. “In litigation, the question would be asked, ‘Why wasn’t one of these put on?’ Though we don’t endorse the document, we can live with it.”

Keith Jackson, a partner at Maritech Industries in Redding, Calif, also was involved in the testing process. His propeller guards are used by San Francisco police divers on boats that travel at slow speeds, among others. He agrees that his company’s propeller guards aren’t safe for all applications.

“Everybody will make claims about what their product will or won’t do,” Jackson told Trade Only. “Now they know how to test it out in the real world before they take it to market. If you’re a developer of guards and you don’t know how to test it appropriately, you might cause more harm than good. What you don’t want to do is try to give somebody a device for safety and cause another hazard. Sometimes we have to say, ‘Sorry, our guard is not designed for continuous high-end use.’ Every product has limitations, but that’s OK as long as you educate the customer.”

The test has been several years in the making, Adey said, and it involved physical testing with ballistics gel samples, which mimic the density and viscosity of human muscle tissue. “We ran over objects, and we did it guarded and unguarded,” Adey said. “Some of it was real ‘MythBusters’ stuff. We were mixing up ballistics gels and even had MIT involved at one point. It was a good project.”