Chrysler 90hp Prop To Far Gone?

Greetings All....
I suspect I know already, but I am ever curious to opinions....Is this prop worth the effort? It's on a '75 Chrysler 90hp I recently acquired and plan to restore. I have a prop shop about 45 minutes up the road, but I wanted to see if there is even a chance it'll be worth the drive.

Thanks In Advance.Copy of Boat10.jpg

I`mNotMe

Seaman
Re: Chrysler 90hp Prop To Far Gone?

Suggest comparing rebuild price against NEW buy price. Total price including your travel costs, taxes, etc. etc. Let the outcome estimates decide.

For example:

Rebuild existing Prop:
- Gas (and time) to drop your current prop off. Estimate $20 in gas (there and back drive).
- Cost of them to rebuild your current drive. Say $60-$80 (depending on its current damage)
- Gas (and time) to pick up your rebuild prop. Estimate $20 in gas (there and back drive).
Total costs to your front door might be: 20+70 (average)+20 = $110 + taxes (and your time of driving)

Buy new prop:
- Using iBoats.com, select new prop for your boat. Selling price might be $175 + taxes.
- iBoats.com online store delivers to your post office (or to your front door). Thus, NO travel cost or time.
Total cost to your front door is: $175 + taxes.

Not too sure how much your time is worth (re: Prop rebuild shop is on your way to/ from work or in the opposite direction?). But, "your time" needs to be taken into account as well.

For me, its less costly to buy NEW aluminum props from iboats.com But for others, it might be better savings to rebuild their existing prop. Each region and situation is different. Especially if one must drive 1.5 hours (3 hour round trip) to nearest prop rebuild shop (like in my area).

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Get it redone.
Nothing beats OEM
Then look into finding a spare.
Valley Sales in Prudenville,Mi. they have a TON of old motors laying around.
My spare is in rough shape(no where as bad as yours)but it will save the weekend if I need it.
Fill out the profile? Location?
You might be close to someone who can help?

jestor68

Commander

Iboats doesn't have props for Chrysler s that old(?).

Propco shows props back to 1978, but it might still be the same thing.

Get that one rebuilt; as finding another for that age motor could turn into a lengthy treasure hunt.

No point in comparing the cost of fixing versus replacing, if new ones are no longer available.

Thanks for the replies. Cost was never really the issue, it was just the ability for this prop to be repaired or if it was to badly damaged.

jestor68

Commander

Thanks for the replies. Cost was never really the issue, it was just the ability for this prop to be repaired or if it was to badly damaged.

The only person to tell you that would be the repair shop.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Those 18 spline props are getting very difficult to find anymore. None are available new, Hubs are not available to re-hub, and only a couple are seen on ebay. SO: Repair the one you have--it is repairable--and start searching for another used one on the auction.

franzmarine@aol.com will probably have what you need, he might even have some N.O.S., but Franz usually has premium prices

Last edited:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

My old school 8 hp Chrysler outboard, can't get a prop anywhere anymore. When the hub spun,I looked all over the net,called several prop places,no- go. Finally found a place in Duluth Minn that could press in a new hub! They also said they could rebuild the blades if need be.
But if it lost one blade completely,it could not be repaired. Someday I'm shure it'll need a prop,but not for now. Just keep out of the skinny water!
Grub