Shifter / Neutral / Start issue

pachanga27

Seaman Apprentice
Boat is a 1989 Sea Ray Pachanga 27 with twin 5.7 Mercruisers (carbed - not FI) with Alpha drives. I do not have the S/Ns handy.

However - my issue is this - The boat has separate throttle and shift levers. The port motor has developed a annoying habit. Well.. not actually the motor. The starting of of the port motor is the issue. To start the motor - obviously the shifter has to be in the neutral position. The issue ... is that when I turn the key to start - and I have made sure the lever is in the "detent" position" - the neutral position- nothing happens. Starter will not energize to crank the motor - unless I move the lever to a "magic" position which is found by moving (or gently "jiggling") the shift lever just a little one way or the other while holding the key to "start". Now that magic postition is not always in the same spot. An example - turn key to crank - jiggle the shift level back and forth - all of a suddden the starter engages and the motor cranks up... however, say it does not fire right away - and I let off the key to stop the cranking. Not moving the shifter - I am thinking the lever is in the same spot and all I have to do is turn the key once more and it should crank. Nope - I have to jiggle the shifter lever back and forth a tiny bit and then the starter will work and fire the motor up. If I leave the ignition switch on too long and the motor is not running - as it should be - the "ignition on- engine not running" buzzer sounds.

Now.. my question is - I know the shift interrupter switch at the carb is a "momentary kill switch" when shifting in and out of gear - however I do not think (IMHO) that this is the problem area. - is there another switch that may be in the shifter mechanism that could be the real cause?

Other than this issue - engine(s) operate fine and once running - I can shift forward to neutral to reverse and visa versa just fine. Moving the shift lever into neutral works as it should. The only problem is getting that special spot to crank the motor. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: Shifter / Neutral / Start issue

the neutral switch is in the hand controls. You will have to pull the controls apart. be careful.

pachanga27

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply - I was afraid the switch would be there - as it is not exactly an easy item to get to with the way the console is made and the levers are enclosed... and I have not found any shop manuals for the Pachanga anywhere -

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks for the reply - I was afraid the switch would be there - as it is not exactly an easy item to get to with the way the console is made and the levers are enclosed... and I have not found any shop manuals for the Pachanga anywhere -

Ayuh,..... That's what Mechanicin' is All 'bout,... Don't matter What yer workin' on, it Ain't Easy to get too,....
If it were, I wouldn't have a Job,.... ;)

Boat manuals are more like a safety brochure, than any sorta Manual,...

Yer Controller is built by Somebodyelse, anyways,...

Post a picture of it, maybe someone can ID it,...

There's usually hidden screws,........ Somewhere,...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

the good news is that it is a cheap $6 micro switch from someone like Cherry or Micro-Switch. so replacing it will be easy. you will need to solder the new switch in place to the controller harness.

and no, it is not easy to get to on any controller.

pachanga27

Seaman Apprentice

Well... an update on the neutral switch. Good news - questionable news on any future issues - Basically on this boat - the dual shifters are enclosed in a plastic enclosured case that was held in place by 4 screws inside the console. Easy enough to remove the screws - lift the case up and out of the console. The neutral switches are mounted on the outside of the case with slide on terminal push on connectors for the wires that lead from the ignition switches. Taking a good look at the neutral switches revealed that basically the terminals and switch itself was corroded, dirty and truthfully ..right nasty looking. (years of moisture, dirt, bugs, grime - boat is a 1989 Sea Ray). So... in this type of issue - I pulled out my magic WD-40 and cleaned that sucker within an inch of its life. Scrubbed the terminals, put a little white grease on the cam where the shifter pushed on the switch -- Re-assembled the shifter case back into the console and - starting issue solved.

Thaks for the previous replies. Those put me in the right place to look for the switch.