1988 chris craft sea-hawk input

sunbirdomc

Cadet
my wife and i maybe taking posession of her fathers 88 chris-craft sea-hawk.25.5 foot,5.7 G.M. w/omc stearn drive. years ago,my brother was warned to stay away from (1988) chris craft/omc packages.he cant remember what the issues were. i was hoping to get some input from you good people. i already know the omc story(hence my user name) by the way, i am new to the site but not new to boating.so far this site has been very enjoyable

southkogs

Staff member
Re: 1988 chris craft sea-hawk input

The Sea Hawks are nice boats. The OMC is gonna' draw all sorts of fire just for being OMC, but the boat itself should be fine. '88 should be a Cobra, which means in a worst case scenario I think you could re-power over to Merc.

Welcome aboard.

NYBo

Admiral

Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

As south kogs noted, the OMC outdrive will draw criticism, some deserved, some not. Yes, it should be a Cobra, which uses the same transom cutout as the MerCruiser Alpha 1, should it come to that. But with proper use and maintenance, the Cobra can give may years of service.

sunbirdomc

Cadet

thanks to both of you for your replies.it is a cobra out drive.boat has been out of the water for 4 years,was a good runner at that point.very nice to know about the transom cut out, thank you

southkogs

Staff member

THIS boat is pretty close to yours. He's been working away on it for a few years.

Don't be too afraid of that OMC. It's already there, and if you can keep it running inexpensively - do it. When something get's pricey, take a look at a Merc conversion and see if it works well and proceed accordingly.