Shifter spline alignment

Kmyers

Seaman
I am having trouble putting lower unit back together on my 1973 mercury 850 after repairing water pump. I did not think I would let the splines move for the shifter but maybe something moved and I did not see. But I cannot tell if the drive shaft is hitting first or the shifter splines. Is there a procedure I can use to get shifter in the correct position? It feels like the drive shaft is hitting first but I keep turning the flywheel and cannot get it to go. Any help please

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Shifter spline alignment

Driveshaft should hit first. You should be able to mate driveshaft by turning flywheel with yout hand. Shifter and MerControl should be in neutral. You may need to "rock" throttle handle when installing shift coupler, to line up splines.

Kmyers

Seaman

Thanks Chris, I tried again and I think I got it, I had replaced the rubber exhaust boot in the lower and I think it was just very tight even when everything else was aligned so I got it just far enough to start a couple of threads and run them all the way slowly and trying to feel if any pressure was being put on the shifter linkage, it seems to work.

Dr.Kiekhaefer

Recruit

When installing merc LU's alone I have used a pair of needle nose locking pliers to hold the link rod centered if it has play.There is enough space above the reverse cam housing to get a grip.