Prop off now stuck in forward

jonrandall24

Recruit
I was having trouble getting my aluminum prop off the other day, it hasn't been off for years, needless to say it was stuck! I came home the day after from work to get it off and my dad had loosened it up with a rubber mallot by tapping it. Now the prop is back on and greased but now it is stuck in forward like the shift shaft is misallaigned! Any help would be appreciated. I hope it doesn't turn into a rebuild. O yea it is a 100hp mercury thunderbolt believe a 75 model.

Thanks,
John

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Prop off now stuck in forward

If the motor is off try rotating the prop as you try to shift.
If the throttle is advanced you may not be able to shift.

jonrandall24

Recruit

I took the lower unit off and re-aligned the shift shaft. I ran out of daylight but I can put the lower unit in neutral and etc.. I guess the gears are not bend up or anything so I am gonna try to re-assemble the lower unit in neutral. Hopefully this will solve this problem. I believe I must have knocked it to forward when taking the prop off. Is that possible?

Thanks,
John

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Doubtful you "knocked" it into forward, when removing the prop, as long as the gearcase was installed. If you had the gearcase off, you could have easily "knocked" it into forward. You might verify HP and year, for future repair work. What is serial number?

jonrandall24

Recruit

UPDATE!!
I took lower unit off and took throttle and shift cables off to see where I needed to be between shifts. Lined everything up but couldn't shift gears. I started looking at my shift cables because I could manually change gears and the prop is in the right position. Anyway my shift cable has became unraveled in my storage area where it runs through. Taped it back together and it runs like a dream. Just have to order new cables and ill be in the water in no time. I must have nocked it out of neutral due to slack in my shift cables. Thanks everyone!!

Jon