Exhaust Housing Gasket

ArneA

Seaman
1956 7.5HP AD-10M Received my new exhaust housing gasket #18-2894-9, (replaces OMC 304314) ordered from Iboats. The last time I replaced this gasket it came with one side of the gasket covered with a sticky substance. The new gasket does not have a sticky side. Do I need to use some adhesive on one side of this new gasket ? I have a product that is called "super sure tack gasket sealant'. I also have a can of Evinrude/Johnson Gasket sealing compound. Would it be advised to use this adhesive on one side of the gasket. Also, my Iboat order for one gasket came in a package with two gaskets. Is the second just a mistake or do I have to double them up ?
As always,,thank you for the expert help
Arne

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Exhaust Housing Gasket

I do not remember off hand, but I believe the "M" in your model number is a suffix for a mid year change(s), one of them being the exhaust housing gasket set up. Someone correct me if Im wrong, going on memory here.

I think the AD 10 simply uses the 1 gasket 202580 in between the powerhead and the 203020 baffle plate.

Now the '57 15020 for example uses the 2 304716 gaskets sandwiched around the 304715 baffle plate. (Any holes in yours?)

Regardless, if they are not shiny and precoated, coat them with the BRP compound, insert into on of your wifes magazines with the shiny pages, close it then reopen and pull gasket out evenly coated and ready to install.

ArneA

Seaman

You lost me with the different numbers than I have on the gasket. The BRP compound that you mentioned is not either one that I have mentioned in my original post. Not sure what BRP compound is. Would that be the same thing as the Johnson/Evinrude gasket sealing compound ? The only holes I have on the gasket are the ones that the seven screws go into that mount the power head. Do I coat both sides of the gasket or just one side.? The previous gasket that I had was coated only on one side.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Ok I understand now. You are referring to the base gasket sorry! Thought you were talking about the exhaust gasket.

Yes BRP is the new owners of Johnson/Evinrude, same compound, the brown stuff with the built in brush.

You obviously bought the Sierra product. They come in 2 packs. If you buy an OEM one, you just get the one.

There was a QD change for the base gasket which included a ss plate with 2 gaskets to help prevent water from getting into the powerhead though.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Don't forget to ensure that carbon seal assembly is complete and in good order! It is critical.

ArneA

Seaman

Here I am again,,dumb as usual...What is a carbon seal assembly ? My order did not have a stanless steel plate with it.

ArneA

Seaman

Thank you...Yes, I have replaced #'s 1, 3 and 5 on pg.16 and today I replaced the impeller and ss plate.