Interchangeable parts?

pgm

Cadet
Hey i have a 1989 force 125 that runs mint.It was on my recent boat before I had a very odd accident early august.Still runs mint.Since boat is now all busted up and not seaworthy,I picked up another boat that has a 1988 Force 85 that also runs mint.I was wondering if I could use parts from the 125 and keep them as spares for the 85.If not I will just sell the 125 or part it out.Its a shame though,I loved that motor and it NEVER gave me a single problem in the 3 years I ran her.I have no storage for it other than my crawlspace that is way to short for me to stand up in.What do ya guys think?Mayday mayday Frank I need ya help!

Jiggz

Captain
Re: Interchangeable parts?

Actually, most parts from the 125 will fit the 85 including the CDM's, coils, and stator. Some people even swapped the LU because the 85 has a lower gear ratio while the 125 has higher ratio putting too much load on the motor. Yes, you will probably be better off keeping it as a spare as selling it whole will cost a lot less than selling it by parts or in your case buying parts.

pgm

Cadet

Thanks Jiggz!I was actually just looking up some parts to see if the were the same for both engines and yeah youre right some expensive parts are interchangeable.Im good with saving a little dough on new parts if I already have the spare...

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

If you got room??? Keep it.
The $ you make from the parts won't equal what you'd spend in your first repair.
Lower units,getting harder to find.
T/T units(working units) impossible and VERY expensive.

Jiggz

Captain

Oh yes, that T/T system is very expensive and hard to find one that is still in original condition. The lower unit alone will probably worth the same price as the entire motor if you happen to be buying one.

pgm

Cadet

you guys talked me into keeping it.I just priced some of the pieces and yeah ...they aint cheap.I saw a t/t for almost 600!!!That is INSANE!!!I had no clue these parts were THAT expensive..fly wheel going for like almost 200...wtf?!?!So yeah ...the 125 is staying with me!!Thanks guys!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

And if the 85 goes south??
the 125 if it's the same length??
It will be a easy change and probably a bunch more speed???