I Need to Test the High Temp/Low Oil Alarm, Where is the Alarm Siren Located???

snowbrd84

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just put an 86 Merc 150 XR2 in my boat along with the controls it came with, the side commander or something, it has the big square button for neutral throttling and it has kill switch, trim control, and key switch as well. Previously, the force motor i had triggered an alarm siren under the dash.

On the Merc 150 XR2, the brown wire from the oil alarm module runs to a terminal block and meets with a brown w/ stripe wire from an overheat switch on the starboard head, a third brown wire then feeds from the terminal block into the wiring harness going to the controls i believe. Is there an alarm siren in the controls itself??? I do not have the wiring harness/plug that goes from the forward side of the controls to the dash. If the alarm siren is not in the controls, does one of the pins on that forward plug output for the alarm so I could hook it to my existing alarm siren under the dash?

Last question, I am assuming that the alarm switches are normally open??? So if low oil or overheat, one of the switched closes and provides ground for the alarm??

I started the motor and tried to test by removing the oil cap (should have triggered alarm right?), and got no alarm.

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
Re: I Need to Test the High Temp/Low Oil Alarm, Where is the Alarm Siren Located???

The alarm siren is inside the control set. There is a module in the motor housing bolted to the block that controls the alarm for oiler operation and it oil level as well. If you pulled the cap with the float out and it didnt go off and you had the controls turned on ...it should have.

snowbrd84

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: I Need to Test the High Temp/Low Oil Alarm, Where is the Alarm Siren Located???

Thanks thats what I was wondering. SO its either a non functioning alarm in the controls, or the oil alarm module is not working.

Dukedog

Captain

Key on. Ground tha "terminal" where tha three wires are connected. If no sound, tha warning buzzer is bad, not hooked up or missing...........

Last edited: