1997 4.3 LX Thunderbolt

HZickefoose

Cadet
Hi all! I am new to this forum. I am considering buying a boat. It is a 19' VIP Valiant with a mercruiser 4.3lx thunderbolt and I'm guessing it must be an Mercruiser alpha 1 gen 2 outdrive. The boat is at a dealership. I haven't heard the boat run yet but a visual inspection shows the boat itself being in great condition and seem to be well cared for. I didn't open up the engine compartment because I looked at it on a weekend when they were closed. I'm wondering how reliable this combo is. The outdrive did show signs of wear. Some drives look perfectly painted still and this one looks like it is missing some paint and the sticker is half gone. The boat is a 1997 so I'm sure it shouldn't be perfect. Could anyone tell me what to look for. I did check to see if there was any oil leaking anywhere and there wasn't. I just don't know very much about this and I don't want to make a mistake. Of course the dealer said and older guy had it and brought his grandkids for a ride, which could be true, but a salesman is a salesman...lol Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1997 4.3 LX Thunderbolt

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... The 4.3l, 'n Alpha 1, Gen.II is a Great Solid package,...

Movin' this to the Non-repair forum,... ;)

Volphin

Lieutenant

Ask the dealer about the manifolds and if they have been inspected. Also ask about the impeller and if it has been changed. 4.3L is a great powerplant.

britisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do all the numbers match on the boat, motor, transom, sterndrive? The numbers son the individual parts should match up to the numbers on the flame arrestor cover. If they don't, then something has been changed and begs the question why?

HZickefoose

Cadet

Do all the numbers match on the boat, motor, transom, sterndrive? The numbers son the individual parts should match up to the numbers on the flame arrestor cover. If they don't, then something has been changed and begs the question why?

They say the numbers match. but the boat is about 1 1/2 hour drive from me so I can't go check for myself.