no spark ignition problem

goualee

Cadet
the motor is a 2003 mercury 40hp 2 cylinder 2 cycle (SN 0t612501). first time doing major work on an outboard. i just replaced piston and bearing. after hooking up everything i couldn't get any spark when trying to start. The motor was running last month before rebuild. not sure if all ground wires are connected at the right spot if that matters but i just hooked to where it reaches and make sure it's not in the way. all ground wires and the whole block has good ground though. all the wires were connected to its color and i rechecked by pulling it off and back on. the spark plug wires did come off during the rebuild but i just twisted them back in. the wires do have continuity through it. i checked and disconnected the kill switch (black/yellow) and got no spark still. i did get voltage with a test light from both wires (green/white and white/green) from the stator to each CDM (capacitor discharge module)when cranking. not really sure what both yellow wires do. i "didn't" get voltage with the test light on both wires (white and purple) from the trigger to the CDM while cranking. i'm not completely sure if they're suppose to and what to do if they don't besides replacing it. Not sure how to check the CDM's and TPM. i haven't used a ohm/volt meter yet because i'm not good with electrical work and it's hard to use it while cranking. anyone have any suggestions would be great because my next steps are: "try" to use a ohm/volt meter, replace trigger, and lastly hit the shop.

Last edited:

goualee

Cadet
Re: no spark ignition problem

Basically a good double check on everything and found nothing. Going to order a new trigger to see if it's really at fault. Plus no suggestions so far

goualee

Cadet

Well I put in a new trigger and still no spark. Guess I'm gonna have to see what the shop says.

goualee

Cadet

I was wondering, what will cause a trigger to not work or is there a way to troubleshoot the trigger?

goualee

Cadet

Had a short somehow and fried the trigger, both cdm and voltage regulator. All replaced and starts now