leakdown test bad compression

vedder2203

Cadet
so who can tell me the proper procedure for a leak down test on a 2000 150 xr6? # 2 & #5 cylinders are reading 60 and other all in at 110.. was going to pull the Heads but was told to do the leak down first if possible..

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: leakdown test bad compression

If compression is down to 60, I don't think you'll have a hard time finding a scored cylinder or blown gasket. Of course 60 psi compression is going to show huge leakage.........waste of time to do leakage test! IMHO

Last edited:

Dukedog

Captain

Agreed! Time ta shell out tha bucks......Tha 110 is a little low also if tha gauge is accurate.

vedder2203

Cadet

What i figured . going to pull heads and check the other cylinders as well. cross my fingers.

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer

I do a leakdown test when I have good compression...the leakage will tell me the overall condition of the rings that the compression test won't..will tell you the true condition on when a re-ring will be needed.....

Dukedog

Captain

What i figured . going to pull heads and check the other cylinders as well. cross my fingers.

Sometimes just "lookin'" at a low compression motor (like tha 110 cylinders) may/may not tell tha story. Might be lost ring tension. Might be just wore out! Set of mic's is tha only way ta get tha real story if nothin' is visible ta tha naked eye...........jmo

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I do a leakdown test when I have good compression...the leakage will tell me the overall condition of the rings that the compression test won't..will tell you the true condition on when a re-ring will be needed.....

Exactly! But its also valuable for 4-strokes just to find source of leaks with a low cylinder.

Last edited: