How to remove impeller pieces from oil & transmission coolers Mercruiser 7.4L??

sws01

Recruit
Long story about how this all happened, but it appears that I'll be needing to get into the oil and transmission fluid coolers (and the heat exchanger) of the '97

Mercruiser 7.4L engines to search for pieces of disintegrated water pump impellers. The engines are inboards with direct drive shafts. I've never had to do this

before and am hoping I can get some questions answered and some tips and tricks, if you have any, for this work. Here are the questions I have:

1. Does the raw water pass through the tubes or the body of the coolers?

2. If the raw water passes through the body, will it be effective to just flush through the body of the cooler with water, or will I have to use needle nose pliers

(or some other tools?) to get the impeller pieces out?

3. What tools do I need to do this? (I know I'll need wrenches to remove the hoses and maybe needle nose pliers or pieces of stiff wire pluck or push the impeller

pieces out, but what other tools?)

4. Do I have to disconnect the oil and transmission fluid hoses to do this?

5. If I have to disconnect the hoses, how much oil and transmission fluid will run out of each of the coolers?

6. Any special restarting procedures?

7. What do I need to watch out for or take extra care doing (i.e., what can get screwed up)?

8. Any internet links showing pictures or giving step-by-step procedures (I've searched and didn't find much)?

9. I'm a little bit more clear on how to get into the heat exhanger, but any tips about doing that?

Thanks in advance for any info and help.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: How to remove impeller pieces from oil & transmission coolers Mercruiser 7.4L??

Re: How to remove impeller pieces from oil & transmission coolers Mercruiser 7.4L??

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Disconnect both of the water hoses,....

Then Back-flush each cooler with yer garden hose,... opposite their normal flow direction,....

The bit, 'n pieces should flush right out,...