1996 volvo penta 3.0 exhaust water leak

davecolumbus

Recruit
i just got a 1996 bravo gw invador boat with a 3.0 volvo penta, heres my problem 2nd time out boat was running great then all os sudden it overheated long story short it was sea water impeller so I replaced it everything seemed fine went out again this time only made it 50 feet and steam was rolling out of engine compartment when i looked the rubber boot coming from exhaust riser to the down tube (whats this called?)was spraying water everywhere with a closer look it was burnt up Im assuming from hot exhaust and no water when impeller took a dump. On the good side it didnt get over 180 this time but once i shut it off it would not start back so...........what now??????

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1996 volvo penta 3.0 exhaust water leak

You need to replace those rubber exhaust boots. It is common for them to melt when you have an overheat like you did.

As for why it wouldn't start back, well that's a very vague question. We have no idea what it was doing, or what engine you have for that matter. Boat year doesn't mean much, and there's several models of the 3.0 that were made around that time. Full model number or serial number, and some info on what you mean by "would not start back" would be great.