Any experience with Atwood fuel tank?

Rooster7118

Cadet
Took my boat out for the first time this past weekend, ran great for about 2 miles stopped to do a little fishing started it back up ran fine until I throttled it then it died. It would start back no problem idle for a few seconds then die again, I went thru this numerous times eventually gave up and got a tow back to the dock. I recently purchased a new Atwood plastic fuel tank with a "vent" free cap and a quick connect fuel line from Wally World.
Anyone have any thoughts or experience with these tanks and fuel lines? Or any idea's?

1988 Johnson 28 SPL
87 Octane
Penzoil synthetic mixed 50:1

nwcove

Admiral
Re: Any experience with Atwood fuel tank?

i have no experience with atwood tanks, but i do have experience with the connectors......they are nfg. they leak fuel while priming, then suck air while running. not worth a plug nickel. jmo

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

The ATWOOD fuel tank is absolutely horribe. I purchased the same tank at Wally World and TRIED to use it. The Vent Free gas cap is supposed to be good for the enviroment....but it does not work. WARNING, this tank is built to swell up in the sun....and it certainly does that....Like a balloon. be sure to leave the gas cap unscrewed to prevent this.

I finally drilled a hole in the gas cap, and installed a rubber automotive tire valve in the hole. When I am using the tank, I will unscrew the cap on the valve and let the tank breath. When I am done, I replace the little cap, and open unscrew the filler cap slighty to let the tank breath and help with the swelling.

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to iboats! I agree those tanks may be less than perfect, but did you verify that it was creating a vacuum in the tank? Unscrew the cap and hear suction? If you did this over and over and it kept starting up (without pumping the bulb), you would have drained the bowl and it would not start. Try running it with out the tank cap. If the problem persist, you have a different issue.

Rooster7118

Cadet

Thanks for everyone's replies, today I ran a compression check and it showed around 80 PSI on both cylinders, started right up on muffs and idled for a hour with no problem, I did notice that that idle adjustment valve was out counter clockwise about 6 turns, from what I have read on here is that you bottom it out and turn out 1 1/2 turns for a rough starting point. Guess I will have to get it out on the water and see what happens.

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your idle speed needle is 6 turns out and it idled for an hour I'd say you have trash in the carb and are in need of a good cleaning/ rebuild. That needle should be no more than 1 1/2 turns out. Mine does best at about 3/4 out

Rooster7118

Cadet

Thanks for the reply @ronward. It was after I adjusted it out that it idled fine it seemed, when it was running I turned it in at 1/8 increments and started to sneeze so I backed it out and seemed as if it idled fine after that.

Update!
Today I bought a different compression tester I got right at 100 psi on both cylinders spot on, I haven't ruled out the fuel tank and hose just yet though untill I get out at WOT, but I'm hoping it was the idle Adjustment. I did pull the plugs today and it appears really rich as both plugs were oily but I know the older 2 stroke Motors don't like to idle, they like higher rpm's thus not burning the mixture.

Last edited:

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the reply @ronward. It was after I adjusted it out that it idled fine it seemed, when it was running I turned it in at 1/8 increments and started to sneeze so I backed it out and seemed as if it idled fine after that.

Update!
Today I bought a different compression tester I got right at 100 psi on both cylinders spot on, I haven't ruled out the fuel tank and hose just yet though untill I get out at WOT, but I'm hoping it was the idle Adjustment. I did pull the plugs today and it appears really rich as both plugs were oily but I know the older 2 stroke Motors don't like to idle thus not burning the mixture.

I don't really agree about the not wanting to idle problem with older motors. I have a 1970 Johnson 33 that runs better than any motor I've ever had. A 1974 Johnson 50 that runs great just has an electrical problem right now. And also a 1977 Evinrude 25 that runs pretty well. I still say clean the carbs real good and put new kits back in. Also, how old are your fuel lines? They will deteriorate and send trash to the carbs.

Rooster7118

Cadet

Sorry, didnt mean to put it like that, that They don't like to idle because they do with no problems, I was implying that 2 strokes are happier at higher Rpm's, not just outboards but all 2 stroke engines

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class

I do agree with that. Seriously, check your carbs. On my 1970 33 I had to go through it twice to get 43 years of gunk cleaned out

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class

Back to your original question...I think I have an Atwood tank. It works fine but you really need to buy OMC fittings