alpha 1 grease points hard steering

Jay Curtis

Seaman Apprentice
i have a 1993 alpha 1 drive sn OF235939 transom sn OF277191 is there a grease zerk for the top of the OD where it turns
part manual does not show it and i cant find it

and is there any grease zerks on the power steering rack one is shown on the parts list but i cant see it on my boat

having a hard steering problem boat sat for 4 years not sure if its the cable , ps pump or just grease

thanks for the help

Bondo

Staff member
Re: alpha 1 grease points hard steering

i have a 1993 alpha 1 drive sn OF235939 transom sn OF277191 is there a grease zerk for the top of the OD where it turns
part manual does not show it and i cant find it

and is there any grease zerks on the power steering rack one is shown on the parts list but i cant see it on my boat

having a hard steering problem boat sat for 4 years not sure if its the cable , ps pump or just grease

thanks for the help

Ayuh,.... Odds are it's corrosion where the cable goes through the aluminum tube at the transom,....

The cable has to come outa the tube to clean, 'n grease it,...

Disconnect things, 'n see what moves easily, 'n what don't,....

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

As the years have gone by, Merc has put less and less zerks on the drives and transoms. Are there ANY left now?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

some ,but the ones I install are the upper swivel bearing ones Merc eliminated. provides grease to the steering arm area and there easy to install without dis-assembly

Jay Curtis

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the advice guys

Bt Doctur where do you install a grease zerk? and how with out dis assembly? thanks jay