Alternator Wiring Question

Greg Z

Recruit
I have a 1986 Mercruiser 3.0. The alternator is not charging the battery. When I looked at the alternator I found that the purple (excitation) and red/purple (sensing) were clipped or broken off and taped. I have never had a problem in 3 seasons but the other day I had to jump start the boat due to a dead battery as a result of a switch being left on. That is when I noticed that the volts would not come up on the gauge and that trimming the outdrive would cause the engine to cut out. My question is whether the alternator will charge without these wires hooked up?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Alternator Wiring Question

that depends on if you have a 1 wire or 3 wire alt. I suspect its a 1 wire with those 2 wires taped off.

alldodge

Staff member

Ditto Btdoc

:welcome: to iboats

Greg Z

Recruit

that depends on if you have a 1 wire or 3 wire alt. I suspect its a 1 wire with those 2 wires taped off.

It originally had 4...the two broken ones mentioned previously (broken off or clipped at the housing), as well as a black ground and an orange output wire.

alldodge

Staff member

It originally had 4...the two broken ones mentioned previously (broken off or clipped at the housing), as well as a black ground and an orange output wire.

Could you take a picture of what your seeing?

Greg Z

Recruit

Could you take a picture of what your seeing?

This isn't the best pic...taken on a cluttered bench. Orange wire was on connection on right. Black on left. If you follow the black wire to where it enters the housing you can see where the two other wires broke or were cut off. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• DSCF1325.jpg
    DSCF1325.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 0

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

either motorola or mando 3 wire. the 2 missing wires go to the regulator . regulator is replacable .
Doubtful it was ever charging. I`d use the 1 wire from GM.Top row, middle
http://www.ebasicpower.com/charge/alternatorwiring.htm
I would search for whoever cut those wire and drown him with cinderblock ankle bracelets

Last edited: