1969 sears / eska 5 hp 217 58520

1969sears

Recruit
I am hoping someone can help me I am new to outboards. I have a 1969 sears 5 hp and I have changed out points and condenser and after that I replaced the coil and I can now start it but I need some help on how to set the points correctly. I have noticed that the slide throttle affects the timing and I am not sure how to set points on this unit.

Any help would be apriaciated.

Thanks

Patrick

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1969 sears / eska 5 hp 217 58520

Roll the crank clockwise till the moveable arm of the points is on the lines on the face of the cam that actuates it. Crack loose the screw that secures the points so it has some drag, and set the gap at .020", then tighten the screw and check it again to see if it moved. It's the fixed arm whos position you're setting, and you'll see a couple of notches that let you put the tip of a flat blade screwdriver in there to change it in small increments.

1969sears

Recruit
Re: 1969 sears / eska 5 hp 217 58520

Roll the crank clockwise till the moveable arm of the points is on the lines on the face of the cam that actuates it. Crack loose the screw that secures the points so it has some drag, and set the gap at .020", then tighten the screw and check it again to see if it moved. It's the fixed arm whos position you're setting, and you'll see a couple of notches that let you put the tip of a flat blade screwdriver in there to change it in small increments.

I understand the process your describing however the throttle arm for the motor as you increase it it changes the spark advance. Would I set the points on the stop point or the start or full throttle?

Patrick