Alpha one gen two outdrive will not slide back on

Badtbone

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,
I get the drive back on until the last 2 inches
I turned the prop slightly CCW and the drive slips in up to the last 2 inces ( where the studs start )
Then it gets stuck and is difficult to remove. I also tried it without the orings just to test.

Any thoughts? This is my last repair to finally use it a couple time this season. I hope.

Thanks

T

camalot

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Alpha one gen two outdrive will not slide back on

Do you have the remote in the forward position (in drive).

They can be hard the last couple of inches (that's what she said lol) have a look at the two shift connectors underneath.

Badtbone

Seaman Apprentice

Yes
Forward drive and connectors aligned...
Thanks

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

Do you have the prop locked with a bungee ccw? And just to be sure you did check alignment before mounting drive?

Badtbone

Seaman Apprentice

No bungee on prop but I double check it as I put it on. I also am able to turn it slightly CCW to get it to slide int the splines.

No I did not check alignment. I do not have the tool.
Thanks

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

If it truly the last 2 inches, then it sounds like your drive is not in the correct "elevation" in relation to the bell housing and you may be hanging up on your u-joints (such that the u-joint assembly is hitting the large rubber O-ring just ahead of the drive bellows inside the bell housing). This was my case this weekend. Adjusted the relative elevation and it slipped right in. (I use a drive stand to help line-up and insert the drive [a one-person evolution that way] and therefore had to lower the rear of the boat ever so slightly to provide the clearance for the u-joints.) I also used a long skinny screw driver under the U-joint assembly as it was being inserted into the bell housing. Typically dont need to do this, but it seemed to help this time.
Also have to make sure your shift slide is properly engaging the shift shaft roller and is "squared up" so it properly enters the pocket in the upper drive housing and doesnt get bound up (I have the "nifty" little device that makes sure of this...what a cool invention that was! and cheap, too!).
I also give a good coat of 2-4-c to the upper drive housing where it enters the bell housing so it "slips right in". Did you make sure your large O-ring is properly glued in place inside the bell housing with bellows adhesive? The last guy that installed my drive didnt do such a good job there and the bottom half of the O0-ring got chopped off during install (by the U-joint assembly) and ended up inside the bellows. Good thing the outer gasket held up so I had no water in the bellows after a summer in the water!

Last edited:

NHGuy

Captain

Yup, just be sure the shift shoe is pointing fore & aft so it slips onto the shift shaft. Also the shift link on the rear starboard of the bellhousing has to line up with the rollers that it slides between. Put the big round rubber square cut seal in the bellhousing with some grease to hold it in place. Once it's lined up give the drive a smack with the heel of your hand, if it moves in give it a couple of more thumps.
If that doesn't make sense go look at Achris's video, here's a link Installing Mercruiser Alpha drive - YouTube

Have a look at Achris video of installing the drive:

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

Those last two inches could well be the end of the driveshaft not entering the coupler. It is strongly reccomended to align the engine esch time. Drive is removed. Tool is around $40 and well worth it. If nothing else borrow one. If you look in the adults only section above under alignment you'll see the tip of the tool is 2.2 inches....if alignment off thats a big problem

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Did the drive come off very easily when it was removed?

Badtbone

Seaman Apprentice

Yes it did come off easy. Just returned home with an alignment tool.
I will look up next steps. Any tips?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Is there any chance you replaced the gimbal bearing ?

Badtbone

Seaman Apprentice

Yes I did...
Update.
Slid the alignment tool in and it seems to bottom out at the engine splines. I can't get the end to slide into the splines. It slides nice and easy and rotates but will not slide into the splines.
thanks
T

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Figured, the new one is not lined up with the engine.If you installed it properly and have it properly seated, thump the bar with your palm to "gimbal" the bearing.It swivels 360 degrees . that should get you lined up to insert the alignment bar.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Yes I did...

T

Then you need to use the tool to align the gimbal bearing to the coupler. Follow the directions in the stickys ("adults only" section) at the top of this forum...

Badtbone

Seaman Apprentice

In what direction? It slides in nice and easy until it hits the engine. Visually I can't tell. It looks centered...
Thanks
T

Badtbone

Seaman Apprentice

I did read sticky but I can't get it to slide into splines
Thanks again
T

It's in the sticky at the beginning of this forum:

------------ADULTs ONLY ------------
Title made you look didn't it
Nothing here little kids can't see, just a lot of IO information for the DIYer.

If you have NEVER posted in this forum before, please click on How to ask a question link first.

1. How to Ask a Question .... Please Read This Before Posting A Question...

2. Mercruiser Information

3. Volvo Penta Information

4. OMC Information

5. Engine ALIGNMENT How to's
http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser...utdrives/engine-alignment-how-tos-443992.html
6. HOW TO: Troubleshooting your engines starting system

7. HOW TO: Find #1 TDC on the Compression Stroke

8. HOW TO: Testing your boats fuel system.

9. HOW TO: How the Shift Interrupt system works

10. HOW TO: Summerize your Winterized boat

11. HOW TO: Winterize your engine and drive

12. Use of muffs to winterize

Here's Achris' video on it as well:

Last edited:

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

the gimbal bearing has a ring around it so that it moves or swivels the bearing. the gimbal bearing is aiming the direction it ended up in when you where hammering it in. It needs to be swiveled to aim the tip of the bar exactly at the splines opening in the coupler. slide the bar in until it stops against the rear of the coupler, then hit the end of the bar in all four directions, up, down, left right. the theory is that the end of the bar at the splines will help to shift the gimbal bearing direction so that the bar will slide in better. once it slides in, sometimes with a little effort, you then begin to grease the end of the splines, and "read" as per the stickies, and adjust the front engine mounts. you cant use a big hammer to do this, use the palm of your hand, or I have used a rubber mallet. its not force so much as jarring the alignment bar. it can take a while. be patient. when you get it, you'll know.

Last edited:

Badtbone

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Eric, I did read the sticky and watch the video. The problem I have is that the end of the tool is not going into the splines. I can't imagine the engine would need to be adjusted but I will try what 84 has suggested...
I should mention it slides in very easy then makes a clank sound. I measured the depth and that's exactly where the splines start.
Thanks guys!
T

2003 Crownline 202 BR
Alpha One Gen Two
5.0 merc
Lake only
300 hrs

Last edited: