1978 70 hp evinrude help with carbcleaning

riguitin

Cadet
Hello everyone this will be the first time i do this. How do i take the crab jets out to clean them well do i need any specific tools and how hard is it if you could help me ou i will be forever in you debt thanks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1978 70 hp evinrude help with carbcleaning

They do make a special tool to remove the high speed orifice. After breaking the tip off of a couple of factory tools, I made my own. Take a flat bladed screw driver that has a shaft a little smaller the the threads on the screw plug on the carb bowel. Grind it around until it will fit into the passage where the orifice screws in, make sure the blade of the screw driver has nice square edges. You should not have any problems if the screw driver fits properly.
All that being said, every once and awhile you might run into an orifice that the slot for the screw driver is damaged or there is so much crud in the passage that you can't get the orifice out. You just have to clean it while it is in the bowel, use a set of torch tip cleaners and carefully clean the jet while it is in the bowel.

riguitin

Cadet

First i want to start by saing thanks for taking the time to help me out
Ok so basically i want to get a nice big flat head scre driver and secondly is there any specific carb cleaner you would recomend for this job thanks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Not really, some people soak the carbs, some use a spray can of carb cleaner followed by compressed air. I guess it depends how bad they are.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

And this is what it should look like.
317002a_CARB-JET_REM-INST.jpg