when do you need to get new rings installed?

dfrants

Petty Officer 1st Class
at what compression level are new rings suggested? i have a 1991 90hp that has 115# in all 3 cylinders. is it better to have them replaced before it gets too low?

mr 88

Commander
Re: when do you need to get new rings installed?

Depends on how deep your pockets are and what you are using your rig for. I would run it until it stopped idling/running decently. Now if I was racing with it or noticed a big drop off in performance I would swap them out.Fishing and cruising would be run it till it stops.You might keep that 115 for 10 more years,if it aint broke why fix it ? Ever check the compression on your cars engine ?? Sound like it is wearing very evenly and a cracked ring is not part of the overall picture.

Mi duckdown

Commander

Properly maintained you will probaly, never have to replace rings.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

2 stoke compression is not like automotive compression. A 2 stroke can perform flawlessly at compression as low as 75 lbs per cylinder. Just keep the "entire" motor maintained and you should be fine. Clean carbs, good fuel pump, good ignition, cooling etc.

jagans

Cadet

at what compression level are new rings suggested? i have a 1991 90hp that has 115# in all 3 cylinders. is it better to have them replaced before it gets too low?

What the other fellows say is right on. If it aint broke dont fix it BUT. Try tilting your motor up, removing your sparking plugs, (Thats what the British call them) and injecting about 10ml of Marvel Mystery Oil into the cylinders, and let it soak for a few days. I have been using that stuff for more years than you want to know, and it is especially good on 2 cycle engines for freeing rings, removing sludge and top end residue etc. You can add it to your fuel too to keep things moving in the fuel system. WIth a rag over the plug wells turn the motor over a few times with the starter to blow clear the MMO, put in the plugs and run her for a while. It will smoke a bit, of course. It will clear up. Then check your compression again, and see what you have. If its the same, you just have some wear, no sweat. If it increases, all about the same, you freed up your stuck rings. Dont rush it, let it set for a few days.

No, I do not work for MMO

Another tip: Harbor freight has a spark plug cleaner that hooks up to your air compressor that really works pretty darn well. I remember when all the Gas Stations (Which used to all be garages too) had sand blasters like this where you could go there, say hello to the owner and sand blast your plugs for free. Now we throw them in the land fill. Back then we had a great guy that owned the station on the corner that patched all the kids bicycle tubes with a hot patch for free. Thats the way the US used to be. Oh and air for your tires was free, too. And an ice cold coke was a nickle.

Progress my AXE.

Last edited: