Repairing lap strake

THE BEEF

Chief Petty Officer
Hello<br />Can any one tell me how to replace a lap board on a wood boat. I found a soft spot by the keel cover.<br />The boat is a 22' skiffcraft.I have it on stands in my shop to paint the bottom when I found it.<br />Im not afraid to try repairing this but I never done<br />it before and I was wondering if someone could tell me where to start<br />Thanks<br />The Beef :D

andymach23

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Repairing lap strake

Beef<br /><br />I've read a book called 'Clinker Boat Building' by John Leather. Clinker is the UK name for lap strake. This an excellent book that explains everything about building in detail, although I'm not sure if it actually covers plank repair. I had to really study it to fully understand the process. There are other books available, US ones also, that I noticed on Amazon. Making up a replacement board should be do-able if you are good at wood working have the tools, patience and a keen eye. You could maybe just put a patch in also. A boat at 22' would probably be made up of planks that were joined to give the right length, so it might be ok to remove a board. You could then use it as a template for the new one, to get the shape of the board and the chamfer angles on the edges. You could also help the repair by using some epoxy on the laps.<br /><br />One board may not be overly expensive for a boat yard to do.<br /><br />Try the web for some info but definitely consider buying a book. I really enjoyed reading about clinker boat building and would love to attempt it some day. <br /><br />Good luck<br /><br />Andy