New depth finder/GPS??

scipper77

Commander
Can someone tell me what they know about current model graphs with gps??? I need to educate myself so any input whether it be opinion or fact is appreciated. Things like what features are nice to have and what bells and whistles are just fluff. A little background to help you help me...

My new boat is a 1983 aluminum fishing rig in pristine condition. 16.5' long with a tiller (no console), bow mount trolling motor, livewell, pedestal seats (all circa 1983 and like new condition). Currently it has an old flasher. I was toying with the idea of replacing the flasher. I had a cheap humminbird graph on my last boat and in my opinion that was only useful for telling depth and temp, not enough resolution to mark fish. I'd rather use the flasher than replace with a unit like my old one.

If I replace the flasher it would primarily be to add a unit with gps so I can find shoals and mark locations as I see fit. Unfortunately my knowledge of fishing electronics is not current. A quick web search yielded too many results to process hence this thread.

EDIT: Upon a little consideration I wonder if buying a stand alone GPS to add to the flasher might be the best option for me?

Last edited:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New depth finder/GPS??

Upon a little consideration I wonder if buying a stand alone GPS to add to the flasher might be the best option for me?

That's what I would do, scipper.

jwjw7108

Cadet

Hey there. I hope maybe I can help you out a bit. I recently purchased a Lowrance Mark 4 sonar with GPS. Before that I was using another brand with sonar and temperature only. I have been fishing for Wipers on Willard Bay here in Utah. They are very picky about what speed thier dinner is moving. For instance, right now it seems as though they wont touch anything unless it's moving at just about 4 mph. This new set up has proven to increase the potential for a succesful day of fishing. It has many features that could be very useful depending on how exactly you intend on using it . It ranges from very basic use to a more advanced type of use including some things like making trails, marking waypoints or guiding the vessel operator to a programmed set of coordinates. This includes only a few of the features that this particular unit offers. However, the instruction manual could definatly in my opinion go into more detail as to the use of all of its offered features, and have included a bit bigger veiwing screen. Other than those two small things, I have loved owning this sonar/GPS. Best part is that it only cost me about 200 Bucks. Consider maybe looking into one. I hope I helped you out a bit. Later.

scipper77

Commander

JB, We tend to think alike.

jwjw7108, I assume you have the black and white unit. That unit looks like a contender.

I looked at some marine chart-plotter/gps units (no sonar) and I must say that the price is not really in line with what I would expect. I would have to assume that you are paying for the marine charts as similar automotive units with larger screens are half of the price.

I had it in my mind to just buy a Google nexus 7 Tablet and a water proof case for it. That will give me a large screen GPS for less than the price of a dedicated unit and have a tablet to use the rest of the year when I am not fishing. That only led my mind down the path that my smart phone already does all of that and is free (well allready a fixed expense in my budget). So in summary, I think I'll just save my money and see if my phone can fulfill my needs. If I buy a waterproof case and a mount for the phone I won't have to worry about my phone getting wet.

Does anyone know of any good apps for using an android phone as a marine chart-plotter??

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Flashers have their place and some people love them, but step into a new world, and don't bother with a GPS only unit, you pay almost the same amount as a combo. A simple unit like the Lowrance Elite 4 can work very well, it's not big, but the cost is very low for what you get, the standard maps are pretty good too. Color makes a big difference.