Removing road traffic striping paint from my car

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
:blue: My fiance borrowed my truck on her trim to the poconos with the kids and comes back with what looks like traffic line paint spray all along each side of my truck along the bottom of the doors and wheel wells. Yellow on one side and white on the other. Turns out she was following a line striping truck and drove along freshly painted lines and didn't realize the paint was wet or that she shouldn't be driving through it... Doh!!!:facepalm:

So question is anyone have any tips on removing this paint from my nice truck paint finish without damaging it???

Last edited:

WSKIPPER

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Removing road traffic striping paint from my car

If you don't wait too long WD-40 works wonders...use a soft cloth saturated and be patient...I've removed both paint and asphalt from nice shiny clearcoat with no problems...wash well after cleaning...Bill

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

But do be careful, most of those types of paint have reflective beads in it, to make it show up at night and will scratch the hell out of your clearcoat. Give a local body shop a call and let them know what happened, they should be able to advise you, I am surprised it got on the truck, that stuff is designed to dry almost instantly.

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ugghh really pissed. Looks like hell. I guess a week would be considered too long. She came home yesterday and this happened on her way up there last week. The stuff is on there good. I saw some guy using laquer thinner or acetone on youtube but would think that would harm the clear coat?? I think this is the thermoplastic type paint. It's real think and on the truck in little bubbles or specks. I guess ill call the body shop tomorrow.

stackz

Master Chief Petty Officer

the only way I'd use laquer thinner would be in the shade and with a sponge with water really close by. quick rub with thinner then immediate and thorough application of the water. even then I'd be kind of skeptical.

I've always just taken a bowl with warm water and 2000 grit sand paper. wet the sand paper and make a real quick light pass or two, then rinse with water and check, then another pass or two. After that, take to a detailing shop and have them buff the whole car and make them aware of the areas to take extra care of.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

If it were my vehicle, I'd call the PA Highway dept. and find out exactly what paint they use and who makes it. Then I'd call the manufacturer's tech line and see what they recommend.
It won't be the first call they have had on this issue. :)

oldjeep

Admiral

Bug and tar remover.

foodfisher

Captain

I forget what it's called, a putty like substance with water as an enabeler took an overzealous painters overspray off my truck.

Volphin

Lieutenant

I wonder if Kerosene would work? Possibly?

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks all for the replies. I'm gonna take it over to see my buddy who owns an auto body shop and see what he recommends or can do for me. Don't wanna try anything and ruin the paint.,..

eavega

Lieutenant

Please let us know what your buddy says. I've tried unsuccessfully to get this same type of paint off of my wife's car (and the rims to boot), and would like to hear about something that works.

Rgds

Eric

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Petroleum jelly?? interesting. Will definitely try that if my auto body guy doesn't come up with anything.
Will post back results as soon as I have em.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Petroleum jelly?? interesting. Will definitely try that if my auto body guy doesn't come up with anything.
Will post back results as soon as I have em.

Take note that the common denominator is speed of action.... :)

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes, noted. Unfortunately as I've mentioned, my fiance drove through it on the way up there and didn't think anything of it until I notice what it was when she returned a week later. The stuff is pretty much fused on the paint. NOT GOOD!

java230

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try the clay bar. Its amazing what they will pull off. I prefer some instant detailer to water for a lubricant. Maybe do the vaseline first then give it a try once its been washed off.

Good luck!!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Clay bar is used to pick up tiny particles on the surface. Even doing that, you have to be careful so that the particles picked up don't scratch the paint in other areas. I don't think this is a good application for it.

I would take to a body shop and have them give advice.

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

So my body shop friend suggested paint or laquer thinner and a good polish and wax after. So I used laquer thinner on the paint and goof-off graffiti remover on the plastic trim below and on the mud flaps. All came off good but def took some good elbow grease. I used a rag soaked in the laquer thinner and tried to not stay in one spot for too long and soaked the areas, let them dry and came back and wiped in a circular pattern. I let the goof off stuff soak a bit as well and the paint came off the plastic parts pretty quick. Def needs a good polish and wax though. I didn't have time to do the whole thing but with polish and wax it looks perfect.
Thanks to all for your suggestions as always.