1990 200 HP Black Max - speedometer not working

rideroads

Cadet
Hi Guys,
So we have been enjoying the boat for a while but having the speedometer looking at me pegged at zero has been bugging me. I know these quick silver units are suppose to run off the motor but mine is not. Outboard has a bob's machine shop lower water cone on it and the tube for the speedometer is cut inside next to transom. Can i pick up a normal pilot tube pick up and attach it to that?

Since the lower unit was modified I am not even sure the hole that was used for the speedometer is there anymore. Call me lazy but this seems easier then wresting that lower unit on and off again :) .

Thanks,

Eric

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1990 200 HP Black Max - speedometer not working

Just hook up a normal pitot tube . The Bobs nose cone prevents you from using the factory pickup which is too high for most use anyway.

Or just use a GPS. Boat speedo's are all over the place.

rideroads

Cadet

Thanks wired! It just bugs me that the speedo is the only one that does not work ;).

Eric

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, that speedometer pickup on the motor thing sounds like a good idea at first . Then they put the pickup so high that the motor would need to be set so low in the water that the anticav plate would be dragging through the water when on plane for it to work. I suppose theres hulls like that but on mine even if I drop the motor all the way down on the mounts it still wouldnt be low enough to work.