What to do with the Fiberform in the back yard?

maltby1

Recruit
70's Fiberform with i/o mercruiser, looks like a cuddy. Was in working order about four years ago. Then the decision was made to not moor it at the near by marina over the winter but take it out of the water and leave it behind the cabin on its trailer.

This is northern Idaho and there is lots of snow in the winter, and the snow defeated what precautions were taken, and snow got into the boat, which then in spring turned to water. And there it has stayed since, suffering through several more winters. Can it be fixed up? Should it be fixed up? What does something similar without problems go for? Whats it worth as a restoration project?

bakerjw

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What to do with the Fiberform in the back yard?

Can it be fixed up? Yes. Virtually every boat can be restored.
Should it be fixed up? If you really like it and want to spend the time and money on it, then yes.
What does something similar without problems go for? I have no idea.
Whats it worth as a restoration project? IMHO the only real worth in a restoration project is getting a boat that will last your lifetime. It is very hard to get a break even return on the investment in time and materials.

Since it's been exposed to harsh conditions for a handful of years, I'd expect a full restoration to be required. That's stringers, bulkheads, probably new transom, motor mounts, and of course decking. Then there is upholstery and interior work too.

Do you have pictures? Those help a lot.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Don't forget the motor,........

If it's an inboard it might have gotten water in it, And may have frozen which in turn may have caused a cracked block,...

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

Don't forget the motor,........

If it's an inboard it might have gotten water in it, And may have frozen which in turn may have caused a cracked block,...
And if the block is cracked unless you have a personal attatchment to the boat it probably is not worth the investment.