Just bought a Baretta and need some info...

inside0ut

Seaman
Hello all.

I have a question I'm hoping someone on here can answer. I have been looking over the internet for answers to a few questions I have about a new boat I just bought.

Its a Baretta 20.5 ft. Super sport. I cant really find any info on HP or specs for the boat. It has a 4 cyl. Volvo Penta engine (hp unknown to me) and a volvo outdrive marked as a "275". If anyone could give me specs or point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it!!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Just bought a Baretta and need some info...

Hello all.

I have a question I'm hoping someone on here can answer. I have been looking over the internet for answers to a few questions I have about a new boat I just bought.

Its a Baretta 20.5 ft. Super sport. I cant really find any info on HP or specs for the boat. It has a 4 cyl. Volvo Penta engine (hp unknown to me) and a volvo outdrive marked as a "275". If anyone could give me specs or point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it!!

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... The Volvo forum comin' up,....

captmello

Captain

Welcome, without seeing the motor I can't ID it. If it has a single carb, I'would think it is an AQ131 model engine. The outdrive is what you said, a 275 model.

If it is in fact an AQ131 motor, you can go to this link, type in AQ131 in the 'engine type' box. scroll down and you will find there were 4 different models, A-D. They are all very similar. Click on the AQ131A and you can download an owners manual.

Engine database - Engine database : Volvo Penta

inside0ut

Seaman

Welcome, without seeing the motor I can't ID it. If it has a single carb, I'would think it is an AQ131 model engine. The outdrive is what you said, a 275 model.

If it is in fact an AQ131 motor, you can go to this link, type in AQ131 in the 'engine type' box. scroll down and you will find there were 4 different models, A-D. They are all very similar. Click on the AQ131A and you can download an owners manual.

Engine database - Engine database : Volvo Penta

Here is a pic of the engine...I dont know if it will help. I can take any that would help identify this. Also, can I do a motor swap to something larger with this keeping the outdrive? Im really pretty new to all this, been restoing cars for a long time and this is a new hobby!

I appreciate all the help.
motor.jpg

OneBone

Cadet

Welcome aboard! These were Celebrity Success hulls. Out of the game for 15 years or so, was a daughter company of Mariah. Bought an 87 from the original owner & loved it. Came with all the factory manuals however. See a few in the northwoods, but always with OMC drives. Good luck!

captmello

Captain

Ya, thats an aq131. 120hp.

Because of gearing differences, you can't use that outdrive with a bigger engine, While the dirvetrains look the same they are a package deal. You'd need a complete drivetrain to switch to a bigger motor.

inside0ut

Seaman

Thank you all so much for your help.

I took the boat out for the first time the last two days and besides it running rought at times I suspect due to bad gas, the steering being wonky at times, and needing a new prop, it ran pretty nice for a $1000 boat. I can see how this hobby is addicting!

captmello

Captain

Glad to hear you're enjoying it. Remember boating is all about preventative maintenance. Those motors are good and can go a long time. Also good to see another Baretta on the water! A couple suggestions I would make are:

Install a fuel/water seperating filter
A full tune up never hurts, especially on a slightly underpowered boat.
Pull the upper gear unit and inspect the ujoints and drive shaft bearings and install a new bellows
Change the lower unit oil, uses motor oil.
Replace the impeller in the raw water pump

Easy for me to spend your money.:)

But, doing these things will give you a good chance of many years of reliable service.

Be sure to post any questions you may have on any of these items. We'll be happy to help.

inside0ut

Seaman

Excellent, thanks for the suggestions!

I would like this boat to run for awhile, I'm just learning this stuff and love to wrench on motors. Is there any good sites that have more info on maintaining this boat or is youtube a good place for info on how to change the oil and stuff you talked about?

captmello

Captain

I'd like to think you can get all the help you need right here on this forum.

I would suggest starting a new thread for each task you want to accomplish.

I'll keep an eye out for your posts.:)