Exhaust leak kills two,..

Re: Exhaust leak kills two,..

That's something I never would have thought as being a problem on a boat :eek:
I know carbon monoxide is fatal in an enclosed space, but in an open boat ???

agallant80

Commander

That is why I have three detectors on the boat.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I know carbon monoxide is fatal in an enclosed space, but in an open boat ???

These stories are always short on details, but I'd guess that it accumulated in the cabin. We cruiser owners are (I hope!) very conscious of the CO danger posed by inboard engines and generators.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Heck they MAY have even called a portable genny below decks faulty exhaust in the "preliminary report"

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

More details here...

Survivor tells of ordeal on Lake of the Woods that killed his friends | INFORUM | Fargo, ND

Broken exhaust pipe led to boaters' deaths on Lake of the Woods | INFORUM | Fargo, ND

The second article makes it sound like the can was the cause. I'm guessing its the other way around. They realized there was a leak, shoved a can in to prevent more water from coming in, and then tried to make it to shore. (with the exhaust leaking into the cabin area.)

Last edited:

java230

Petty Officer 1st Class

WA state now requires a CO warning sticker on every boat (only with a enclosed cuddy or cabin i think) but i was given one for my small boat with an outboard by the DOL and registration says it required.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

here people run boats with a cuddy or walk-around open at the back and full curtains and windshield on the front and sides. When the wind is behind them, CO can blow into that area and build up.

It can also happen on a swim platform or even rear seating areas. A little girl died a couple years ago just riding along.

So even in a properly functioning boat being operated almost correctly you can have big problems. Feel fresh air on your face all the time.

DaveM

Petty Officer 1st Class

So sad. That CO warning sticker is required on all boats registered in WA, but I doubt a sticker would have saved those 2 men.

agallant80

Commander

I really wonder is it is as simple as a soda can caused this to happen. I wonder what else went wrong? When bad things like this happen is is a chain of events.

1. Using a soda can to plug a hole
2. Not having the blower running
3. Going down below when you did a half-a@@ repair
4. C0 detectors not working
5. People not being aware of what the signs of C0 poisning are.

kungpaoshizi

Petty Officer 1st Class

That sucks.. never realized it but with an enclosed cabin that would be a probable scenario. As far as catching it, since CO fills from the bottom up, by the time you notice it, you've got less than a few minutes before unconsciousness kicks in.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

the really sad part was that if they simply shut down the engine and stopped he leak they could have held on and survived adrift....

Bad decisions net bad results

btw it's CO not CO2