Boat cover help..

mopower440

Seaman
Hi all, i have a 19 foot bowrider. ok, i am looking for an INEXPENSIVE cover for the boat that is truly waterproof. Not just water resistant, but waterproof. I know i have read that a lot of covers actually are advertised as waterproof but arent too good at it. Can any of you recomend a good waterproof cover that isnt expensive? I see academy sporst has several but not sure of the quality..

airshot

Rear Admiral
Re: Boat cover help..

When it comes to inexpensive.....your not going to get much quality.

Thalasso

Commander

This is one item for sure your only going to get what you pay for.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

If you want inexpensive pick up a tarp at walmart, if you want a good boat cover have one made.

foodfisher

Captain

Yeh, paying for a hamburger doesn't get you a fillet mignon.

BrianNJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I bought a trailering cover here at iboats. It works much better on my bow rider than the snap-on cover since it is one piece and covers the entire topside. Supported correctly, it does much better at keeping water out, but a little bit still gets in in a hard rain. Keep in mind that anything that will keep water out will also keep water in, which is a recipe for mold and mildew. There is always wet somewhere in the boat from the last swimmer. I think it is better to have something that will breath and keep the dirt out. I also prefer to lift the seat cushions and open the ski locker while covered to let any moisture evaporate out. Of course, there is no substitute for a garage. I wish... ;-)

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

Sunbrella supreme plus.
Absolutely waterproof. I have one on my 22 1/2 ft cuddy.

doyall

Petty Officer 1st Class

... Can any of you recomend a good waterproof cover that isnt expensive? ...

The two goals are mutually exclusive. The best you can do is buy a sub-$100 cover and a few cans of silicone tent waterproofing. It will work great but the cover itself will only last a year at the longest if the boat is left outside.

cliffblue

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the same problem for my 2001 21' V-hull Sun Tracker Party Deck. Currently I use a 12 mil tarp from Harbor Freight. I have a cheap fan controlled by a thermostat and photocell. The fan only runs during the day when the temperature is above what ever I set the thermostat to and pulls air out of the tarp to keep the moisture out and the heat down. It also protects from UV damage. So far I've replaced the tarp every year, around $65. About 5 years ago, I bought a camouflage cover from iboats during a clearance sale for my 15' War Eagle hunting boat. That darn cover is still solid. I wish I could get a cover that good for my deck boat. Good Luck
P.S. They both are in full sun nearly all day.

Last edited: