Oil Recomendations

Taxus812

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2002 Johnson 150 Outboard on my boat.

My boat came with a gallon of SuperTech oil which is working fine. The only complaint I have is it smokes and has a gassy smell when starting. The wife and kids are not to fond of it and I don't want them to get sick of the boat so I started looking at possible alternatives. I found information on synthetics and see that one of the benefits is less smoke.

Pennzoil Marine at a local big box store is $20\gal. So I was wondering if anyone has experience with is (or synthetics). Does it work as advertised ? Any long term issues with synthetic's?

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Oil Recomendations

Either SuperTech or Pennzoil will work well in your boat. I don't know if your family would like any outboard motor oil.

I used SuperTech in jet ski's and Sea Doo's since 1985, and have pulled the heads before. They were as clean as a they could be. My Yamaha 115 hp motor is 28 years old and runs great. I think SuperTech is made now by Exxon/Mobil. Shell/Pennzoil makes Pennzoil.

Your age motor doesn't really need synthetics.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I grew up in the 1950's on Grandpa's boat, which was naturally a 2-stroke. My fondest memories were out in the river fishing with him and Dad.

As a teenager every time I smelled an old car buring oil, or a smokey lawn mower I thought of him.

Both are gone now. Do everything you can so they don't get "sick of the boat". They won't get sick from the oil smell.

Bring on the blue smoke...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I take it from the $20 price tag your talking about their synthetic blend.....not their full synthetic oil. I use Pennzoil Premium Plus when I can get a good deal on case lots. Otherwise, I used Evinrude XD50,

The Pennzoil Premium Plus defiantly smokes less than straight dino oil but more than full synthetic oil.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

"I love the smell of two-stroke in the morning...it smells like...victory!"