Constant Beep-Beep-Beep on throttle and sometimes neutral with 87 Xr2 150

ddlaz

Cadet
I've searched everywhere and no one has a good explanation of tests to perform to rule out the alarm module as the culprit.

I get the Beeping at random. It usually beeps when i'm in gear, little or full throttle. Sometimes it'll just beep in neutral. It's not the constant beeping signifying an overheat issue, but the oil alarm beeping.

I've checked the following:
oil level in reservoir always full,
oil in remote tank shows decreasing oil level, implying that oil is being consumed, not to mention the big puff of blue smoke on startup,
disconnected reservoir level sensor wires and it still beeps,
disconnected the three wires from the screw junction on the starboard side of the motor and the beeping stops altogether(no power of course), disconnected just the temp sensor and it still beeps,
checked remote tank pickup filter and blew out any debris,

Any other tests to run? I'm leaning towards the alarm module since this is so random, yet constant.
I notice some oil residue from the front of the motor. Not sure exactly where it's coming from. Maybe a spill from the reservoir when I topped it off to see if the alarm went away. The oil lines don't have any oil on them, looks more like it's coming from the carbs.

I have a clymer's manual that does not detail troubleshooting very well, at least not to an outboard newbie like me.

bldgengineer

Cadet
Re: Constant Beep-Beep-Beep on throttle and sometimes neutral with 87 Xr2 150

3 consecutive beeps normally indicates low oil in the oil reservoir. Instead of unplugging the indictator, while its beeping, (make sure the engine is shut off) take the cap off and run the float up and down to see if it stops. The might be some trash or coagulated oil keeping the float from moving freely. If this is the case, you might want to double check the screen in the oil pickup tube in your remote oil tank.

ddlaz

Cadet

With the engine off, the beeping stops. Even if I turn the key back to on. Kind of resets and doesn't beep until I start it and go into gear.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Disconnect your warning module. The OT is a tan/lt blue stripe wire and goes to the module and out to the horn. There are 2 light blue wires that also go to that module from the float in the oil tank. The module senses a low oil condition from those wires and sends out the coded message on the tan/lt blue wire to the horn.

I gave you 3 of the wires to the module and there are others I can list if necessary....have to look them up. This should allow you to find it somewhere on the engine. If you unplug it and the problem stops, obviously you have a bad module.

Mark

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you unplug the light blue wires going to the module from the tank and the problem persists, you have a bad module. If the problem goes away you have an issue with the oil tank sensor.

ddlaz

Cadet

Disconnect your warning module. The OT is a tan/lt blue stripe wire and goes to the module and out to the horn. There are 2 light blue wires that also go to that module from the float in the oil tank. The module senses a low oil condition from those wires and sends out the coded message on the tan/lt blue wire to the horn.

I gave you 3 of the wires to the module and there are others I can list if necessary....have to look them up. This should allow you to find it somewhere on the engine. If you unplug it and the problem stops, obviously you have a bad module.

Mark
I'm sorry Mark, but could you tell me what OT stands for? overheat temp...? I know where the temp sensor is, and it goes to the 3 wire screw junction on the starboard side of the motor. It made no difference if that was connected to the junction or not. As I mentioned, i disconnected the oil reservoir float sensor wires and it still beeped, no difference whether it was connected or not.
Unplugging the alarm module will obviously stop the beeping, but I want to know if the module is bad or some sensor is bad.

I haven't taken the alarm module off but it looks like the module is potted so it's not user serviceable without melting the epoxy out?

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sounds like you need a new alarm module to me. Yes it is a cube. You can't repair it.

TLL

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The oil module has a green wire coming out of it that goes to one of the green wire output terminals of one of the switch boxs, if there is no voltage ouput from the switchbox where the oil module green wire is attached, the horn will sound the no oil beep. Your alarm problem may be a bad switch box. Try moving the green wire from the oil module to a different green wire terminal on the switch box, if the problem goes away, you most likely have a bad switch box.