The easiest question you'll probably ever answer - docking rope

phatslim

Cadet
We bought four docking lines but the ends aren't bound or secured where the three braids intertwine. So, they get easily frayed and just come apart. Burning the ends seems like a very short term fix unless I can dip it in lava.

So, would tightly-wound electrical tape be a solution? Rigging tape? Did I just buy a terrible docking rope (Attwood Premium)?

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer
Re: The easiest question you'll probably ever answer - docking rope

Gorilla tape + flame

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

There is also stuff in a can called dip it, I believe, just for this purpose. Most boating stores carry it and it's cheap.

haulnazz15

Captain

Any glue (super glue, gorilla glue, etc) will work just fine as well. We have electrical tape on the ends of ours as well, just for ease of finding the ends when it's in a pile. We also have a few that have electrical tape in intervals along the line to use for quick measurements.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

If your rope is hollow core, put an eye at each end.

phatslim

Cadet

Thanks all, I knew I'd get fast and correct answers! That "dip it" stuff sounds great. Unfortunately, I'm just not well-versed in all the nifty lil' products to make boating easier. I appreciate it!

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

shrink wrap works great but can pull off. I like to use plasti-dip. More or less the same stuff as the dip-ip, but far easier to find. (any home improvement/tool store will have it)

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer

I find burning it works for the life of the rope.

Sometimes those ends are hard to burn unless you run a piece of tape tightly near the end to get the strands to melt together

littlerayray

Lieutenant

i melt the ends and then use hockey tape

fishrdan

Admiral

Sometimes those ends are hard to burn unless you run a piece of tape tightly near the end to get the strands to melt together

That's what I do..

Tightly tape the rope (back 3-4" where the rope is uniform and unfrayed), cut the rope off 1/8" past the electrical tape and melt the ends together.

Since this is a dock line, I'd put an eye splice on one end. (Don't melt the ends together for the eye splice.)

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I use a heat gun to melt the end.... looks better IMHO than black charred stuff....

oldjeep

Admiral

shrink wrap works great but can pull off. I like to use plasti-dip. More or less the same stuff as the dip-ip, but far easier to find. (any home improvement/tool store will have it)

Depends, the glue filled shrink fit never comes off of anything. If you are making any marine connections you should have some around.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

bronze, copper or SS wire
nylon string
cable ties
electrical tape
Rescue tape? haven't tried it yet for this

Then also burn or dip the end, but i think it's best to have something wraopped, too, and you don't want a big hard glob at the end than can interfere with pulleys, eyes, etc.

Best to wrap it when it's new even if it comes burned/melted, and if not, you have to cut back to the part that isn't unravelled.

On a lot of my lines I keep a monkey's fist (knot) at the end so I can toss the line across a pier and catch between the planks to pull the boat in, cross-tie, etc.