Mercury or Yamaha???

Paul 598

Cadet
I'm looking to replace my current 2000 Johnson 2stroke on my 22' tritoon and I can't decide which motor to buy. Looking at Mercury 200 Pro XS (which is the new Mercury 2 stroke) or the 4 stroke Mercury Verado or the Yahama VF200LA SHO... All motors are 200 hp cheapest is the ProXS, the SHO is the hightest priced. Less that 2500.00 separates all three. They are all about the same weight. Whats yall options on the subject? Thanks...

jbjennings

Captain
Re: Mercury or Yamaha???

I don't like the 4-strokes, don't like to be the guinea pig on "new" models, so that leaves the Yamaha. Yamaha has always made good products in the past so I trust them at least a little.
JMO,
JBJ

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I don't like the 4-strokes, don't like to be the guinea pig on "new" models,
:confused:
Both Mercs have been in production for a decade. The SHO is by far the newest model on the list.

jasonbailey

Petty Officer 1st Class

Keep your money here, buy American. Not the popular response, I know. Yamaha makes a great product and you'll get years of use out of it, but the American working man could use your support.

Keep up the maintenance on both, and both will serve you well.

jbjennings

Captain

:confused:
Both Mercs have been in production for a decade. The SHO is by far the newest model on the list.

When he said "new 2-stroke" I thought mercury must be coming out with some kind of new direct injection model.
Sorry for the :confused: If it's been in production for a decade, doesn't seem too "new" to me either.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

When he said "new 2-stroke" I thought mercury must be coming out with some kind of new direct injection model.
Sorry for the :confused: If it's been in production for a decade, doesn't seem too "new" to me either.
The Pro XS is a re-badged Opti-Max. The 200 Pro XS has been out since at least 2007

Paul 598

Cadet

Ok.. I didn't know how long the pro x has been out.. Think I'm going with the yamaha.. Thanks for all the input.