merc controls question

floatmiboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Recently I've been having a bad connection in my wiring harness plug, I've tried putting di-electric grease on the plug ends and that's helps, but now and then the key doesn't work and I have to fiddle with the plug again. Anyone have any better ideas? I have found a used set of quicksilver controls for sale, but I'm not sure if they will match my engine which is a 1997 25 hp 2 str merc. Are those quicksilver controls pretty interchangeable? Thanks

floatmiboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: merc controls question

Anyone want to comment on the interchangeability of the quicksilver controls? Thanks

carholme

Rear Admiral

You haven't said which control your original one was. Do the pins in the male plug have slits in the middle of them. If they do, it may just be a matter of spreading the pins to get better contact in the when connected to the female receptacle.

Gerry

floatmiboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry, I'm not sure which controls they are, they only say quicksilver on them. Yes they do have the split pins on the male end and I tried spreading them and coating them with dielectric grease which worked except the key still fails to work sometimes, which is still better than never. Also, sometimes the starter tries to engage the flywheel when you take it out of gear.