overheating at high rpms

jobofly

Seaman
hey guys i have a 85 sea ray weekender with a 5.7 V8 and a stringer outdrive. when keeping the engine at 2000 rpms or below the tempature is perfect, as soon as i try to get on plane the temp starts rising. today i took the thermostat out and it was pretty rusty and wedged in the housing pretty hard. i had to destroy the old thermosat to get it out. i will get a new one this week and try it out. any other ideas would help.

thanks

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: overheating at high rpms

Good place to start. If you can re-install the thermo housing and run it, that should tell you real quick. With no t-stat, if everything else is good, your temp should stay way too cool. Another thing you can try if you are sitting in the water is to disconnect the water line, coming from the IH, at the thermostat housing and see what volume of water you get up from the impeller. I'm not sure what the spec is but you should have a full hose stream at idle, with the flow increasing as you run it up to about 2500rpm.

jobofly

Seaman
Re: overheating at high rpms

ok ill try that, thanks for the reply. it is in the water at our marina an im really hoping its not the impeller since they are so difficult to replace