altenator belt

jran

Seaman Apprentice
I am going to ask a dumb question and I know..but I am no mechanic so I have to ask this.............I have a 1989 3.0 135 hp mercruiser on a 17 ft boat.....My altenator belt just broke and also lost my power steering at the same time.Is this supposed to happen?????Power steering belt is still hooked up and looks fine......Stupid I know.......

Moose truck

Seaman Apprentice
Re: altenator belt

The belt that broke is the in that runs water pump and alternator, on the 3.0 w/ power steering the p/s pump is driven off the water pump pulley only. Hope this helps, Moose

jran

Seaman Apprentice

My boat did run hot after alternator belt broke. It looks like the alt belt runs around the crank shaft pully and another pulley above the crank pulley. The power steering belt runs off of the upper pulley above crank shaft pulley.Does that explain why my boat engine temp rose????

jran

Seaman Apprentice

Ok Mr Moose....lol......gotcha......now I see what ya mean and now I understand why my engine ran hot.......no damage tho as my temps hit 200 for a moment then went down to about a steady 180...........