Evinrude 70HP VRO - glastron miniday

Fte1965

Cadet
Hi

I just became proud owner of a glastron miniday 500 with an evinrude 70HP VRO outboard motor. The previous owner had the boat lying around in the garden barely covered so you can imagine the state it was in when I bought it. The Evinrude was not the original motor, guess it is from the mid eighties. When I removed the motor cover I was very surprised that it still looked quite good. After transporting the boat back to my home I cleaned the boat. I tried to recharge the battery without success, so i bought a new battery. I filled up the gas tank, the oil reservoir was still ok so i did not refill it.

I am a newbie so I have to figure out the motor control box shifter. does anybody have a manual ??

I played around with it, pushed the pump in the fuel tube and the motor started, i guess when you push the ignition key you activate the electric shoke?
but after revving up the motor stops without any reason. Is this a problem with the carburators or something else ?

hope someone can point me in the right direction

matt167

Captain
Re: Evinrude 70HP VRO - glastron miniday

First off, drain that oil. With a motor sitting you have no clue if the VRO pump is working and even if it is, I would consider the remaining oil contaminated. Refill the reservoir and mix some TCW3 at 50:1 and restart. If the VRO pump is working, it will probably smoke a lot and you could note it working anyway, and if not, the 50:1 mix will save the motor from damage, and if it is working, the extra oil will only help relube everything from sitting

As for the control, it likely is push to choke. Pics will help. No clue if you have a dual lever or a single lever. Makes a difference, but it probably does need a carb rebuild

boobie

Supreme Mariner

First thing to do is check the compression to see if you have something to work with. Then check the spark on an open air gap tester set at 7/16 ". After that do the carbs.

Fte1965

Cadet

First off, drain that oil. With a motor sitting you have no clue if the VRO pump is working and even if it is, I would consider the remaining oil contaminated. Refill the reservoir and mix some TCW3 at 50:1 and restart. If the VRO pump is working, it will probably smoke a lot and you could note it working anyway, and if not, the 50:1 mix will save the motor from damage, and if it is working, the extra oil will only help relube everything from sitting

As for the control, it likely is push to choke. Pics will help. No clue if you have a dual lever or a single lever. Makes a difference, but it probably does need a carb rebuild

when the motor starts there is a lot of smoke so i guess its getting its oil - i will replace the oil as you suggested. But do you think that for example the spark plugs fail after heating up ? when i start the motor (after pressing the pump in the fuel tube) it starts - a lot of smoke - when the "idle throttle" is barely open it runs on low rev when i start with the idle throttle completely open it starts with high rev, so i guess the fuel is coming true as it should ? but in both case it only runs for like 2 to 3 secs. and than it stops

Fte1965

Cadet

First thing to do is check the compression to see if you have something to work with. Then check the spark on an open air gap tester set at 7/16 ". After that do the carbs.

thanks is there an instruction on how to do the carbs ?? can i clean them myself ?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Would recommend you get a factory service manual. It covers everything on the mtr.

Fte1965

Cadet

Hi Matt

here are some pictures I found, my control is exactly the same.

OMC Control2.jpgOMC Control1.jpg

What do you mean with a carb rebuild ?

matt167

Captain

Because you said it would die if you brought it back to idle, which would normally say carbs need work, but the engine may just not be warm enough.. You have a warm up lever, just use that till it's warm and if it dies again, you will need carb rebuilds

Fte1965

Cadet

Hi Matt
as a matter of fact also when i use the lever and the motor is running on a higher speed it also dies after a few seconds. I have the feeling that it always dies after a specific timeout. Could it be some safety system.
Or the motor dies when all the fuel is out of the hand pump and the carbs do not suck-in new fuel?

matt167

Captain

It may have a VRO low oil alarm, but it will not be able to shut the motor down. Probably have carb issues

phillnjack2

Ensign

Sounds like a fuel problem.
squeeze bulb the carb bowls fill with fuel, then start it up it runs ok then dies due to carbs not re-filling with fuel.

this could be bad fuel pump diaphragm causing the carbs bowls not to refill !!!!!!!!!!!!

to see if this is the case just start the engine and see exactly how long it runs at fast idle.
then when you think its about to shut down squeeze the fuel bulb again to get fuel back into carbs !!!!!

Now this could also be just dirt in the needle valve area's inside carbs and just need a good cleaning out.
if its fuel pump then switch to old style and just mix the fuel in the can as the new vro pumps are way to expensive and even
repair kits for vro are twice the price of older more reliable fuel pumps.
the price of new fuel pump is more than a lot of engines are worth !!!!!!!!!!

can you give exact model number of engine so we can help with cleaning the carbs etc !!!!!!!!!!!!!

phill

Fte1965

Cadet

Its a 1988 Evinrude - Type BE70TLCCA

Using the fuel bulb is a good idea - i ll try this after i get me the flushing 'headphone'

Frank

Last edited:

TLL

Petty Officer 3rd Class

After starting the motor, when it starts to die, momentarily push the key in to activate the choke, if the engine starts to run better after you push in the key(this adds some fuel), it is a sure sign the carbs are clogged up and need cleaning.

Fte1965

Cadet

Thanks for the advice TLL
it went just like you described - i got the same effect if I keep pressing the fuel bulb. so i guess i hvave to look for a carb kit.
another thing that worries me is that there is no water coming out of the motor at the top.

2-IMG_3025.JPG1-IMG_3024.jpg

phillnjack2

Ensign

go buy a proper set of muffs for the engine or put it in a water butt.
that thing you have set up is never gonna be good enough for the water pump to get pressure to it.
before you start it up I could see it would fail by the amount of water pouring out the gear case.

engine sounds good though, pretty crisp.
if squeezing the bulb made no difference at all you have bad fuel pipes, as when you first squeeze the bulb before starting the engine starts, yet by squeezing the bulb nothing happens ??? sounds like air getting in.
but it wont hurt to take off the carbs and give them a clean.
My money is still on the fuel pump being the problem.
that is definitely carb bowls running out of fuel, put engine more upright as well to try it.

check the pulse line to make sure it aint perished or fallen to bits or off !!!!!!!

phill

Last edited:

Fte1965

Cadet

I got myself the muffs and noticed that there is still no cooling water coming out of the motor. I checked the inside of the motor via the thermostat opening if there was not to much salt inside, it looked ok according me. So than it must be the impeller. After reading many forums topics and studying drawings i found on the net, I figured out how to remove the gearbox. If some one is interested I could post some pictures. In the mean time I also bought the original service manual (will save time :D in the future).
Next step is to open up the water pump to check the status of the impeller.
Is there a special product that I could use to get rid of the salt inside of the motor?

Fte1965

Cadet

Hi phill
what is the pulse line?
frank

Fte1965

Cadet

I removed the gearbox and took a look at the water pump - it was still ok so I assembled everything again and look what happened, suddenly i got cooling water - i guess that during the last service the gearbox has been replaced badly or the connection to the water pump disconnected during one of the last rides

Fte1965

Cadet
Hi there - thanks for all the advice so far, I have been working on the wooden floor of my boat the past months. Now I am back at the motor. I cleaned the carbs and the motor is now running on idle- it misfires sometimes but thats not the biggest problem.
When the motor runs for about 60 to 80 seconds the "NO OIL" alarm goes off , a Beep one sec ON 1 sec OFF. it changes depending on the revs of the motor.
I still see blue smoke coming out of the exhaust. I checked the oil hose coming from the VRO Ball pump container - took it of and used compressed air to blow it clean but it was not clogged. Hooked it up again and tried to suck up oil from the reservoir, like the VRO oil pump has to do, i used a syringe on the oil tube where it goes into the motor. But it was very hard - is this normal ? is the VRO pump strong enough to create this much vacuum I wander? Distance between the motor and the vro container is max 2m.
Any ideas what could cause the NO-OIL alarm??