Magnapower II Timing Help needed

Troyboy2013

Recruit
I have a Chrysler 105hp with the MAGNA POWER II ignition system. I want to make sure the timing is set properly but I do not have the threaded timing tool that the manual shows to use. I do have a timing pointer index mark but no decal on the flywheel. I am wondering if Frank's method for timing the distributor type engines or a timing light will work? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Magnapower II Timing Help needed

Ignition type does not matter. As long as you accurately find top dead center and mark it on the flywheel at the timing pointer mark and as long as you accurately measure 30 degrees BTDC, then you can use an inductive timing light to set advance.

Troyboy2013

Recruit

Thanks for the prompt reply. I used the timing light and set the advance to spec, it was out a turn. Unfortunately I seem to have some other problems here and with the stigma about these MagII systems I think I might be wasting my time on this one. There is a story on this engine, but not sure if this is the right thread to post it through. I certainly welcome any advice Frank so if you want to hear my tale please let me know.

Nordin

Commander

What is your issue? I have worked on a couple of 60Hp with MAG II and have two engines of my own with MAG II.
One 55Hp 1977 and one 65Hp 1977.
I will try to help you troubleshot if you want.
Parts can be hard to find.

I know FranzMarine maybe have.
He has offer me used parts, know he made a test powerhead for ign.parts.

Troyboy2013

Recruit

This story begins a couple years ago when I inherited this boat from my father. He was having issues with it when he stored it away several years ago. As I happened upon his repair bills I found that he had spent a small fortune trying to get the engine running properly. He has a receipt for a rebuilt cdi box and several other ignition parts. When I dug into the engine I found no compression in 3,4 cylinders. I also found that the capacitor was only half working. I replaced the capacitor and rebuilt the engine. I had the block bored out and installed new wiseco pistons. Once I put everything back together I tested the ignition system per the Clymers manual and everything passed. I took the boat onto the water and everything ran great. After I felt that the engine was broken in enough I pushed it to full throttle and that's when things went wrong. The engine started missing and running rough and eventually stalled. I was finally able to restart it and get headed back to shore but it seemed like it was only running on 2 cylinders. While heading in the engine starting to run a little better like some coils started firing again but still not the way it should. I took the engine home and looked things over. I changed some trigger coils and primary coils and thought that I solved the issue when everything fired up and ran smooth. But after it runs for a few minutes and I try to increase throttle above 4000rpm the engine will surge 500 to 1000rpms for no apparent reason, and it won't idle back down...it stays at 2000rpm or so. Then it is really hard to restart. Also I sometimes can't turn it off with the key, not sure if thats connected to the issue or not. Then oddly enough it will straighten out and run normal for awhile until I increase throttle to the 4000plus area. I have tested the coils with a timing light and they are all firing...and they seem to spark evenly. The capacitor is good and I have fresh fuel...mixed at 40-1...I wanted it a little more oily while the engine still breaks in. The plugs look ok...they only have maybe an hour on them. And the carbs are set just basically 1 and 1/4 turns out. Other than that I can't think of anything else that might help with the troubleshooting. I feel that the issue has something to do with either temperature or advance since that's the only consistent variable when issues start...but really I am grasping at this point.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

When the Magna-Power II system was first manufactured, it was an excellent idea poorly executed. It had many problems and failed quite frequently. In fact, so frequently that Chrysler offered a retro-fit ignition. Unfortunately, at that time, the only ignition available was the distributor, Motorola, Magna Power. You really do not want to go through the fuss and bother of going backward to a distributor ignition.

HOWEVER: Chrysler Prestolite and early Force ignitions are a bolt-on retro-fit with many less problems. If you really want to go whole hog, get a late model Force Mercury ignition. It will only take a small amount more effort but is by far a superior ignition system.

Given the history of Mag II and given that you are experiencing frustrating problems, a retro-fit will make your life much easier and you will have a better running engine.

Last edited:

Troyboy2013

Recruit

I agree with you Frank. This system can be a major headache. Do you know any place that may still have the Chrysler Prestolite ignition system I need? I actually like the idea of the Merc ignition system even more, what year/s and type of engine do you recommend I hunt down for the parts?
Thanks again Frank.