Force 85---- newbie here

Lakerfan73

Cadet
Hello all... I just purchased a 1989 17ft Bayliner with an Force 85 outboard. Overall boat is in awesome shape.... One issue.... And no idea what to do. I've read up within the forum but can't really find an answer.....

When the Motor is in the transport angle... Manual trim. No leaks at all. When I put the motor down its leaks a little from two small holes... Really small holes. It's a green type of oil. Seems too thin to be gear oil. So I put the motor is some water.... A big tub. Started it and the same oil comes out then too. I don't know if the guy I bought it from overfilled or what. Haven't had it in the water yet, as I'm afraid this could be bad. Any help would be great!!!!! When I said green type of oil....it looks almost like forest green. Looks clean as well. No water in it....

Lakerfan73

Cadet
Re: Force 85---- newbie here

Hello all... I just purchased a 1989 17ft Bayliner with an Force 85 outboard. Overall boat is in awesome shape.... One issue.... And no idea what to do. I've read up within the forum but can't really find an answer.....
Hello is anyone there??

When the Motor is in the transport angle... Manual trim. No leaks at all. When I put the motor down its leaks a little from two small holes... Really small holes. It's a green type of oil. Seems too thin to be gear oil. So I put the motor is some water.... A big tub. Started it and the same oil comes out then too. I don't know if the guy I bought it from overfilled or what. Haven't had it in the water yet, as I'm afraid this could be bad. Any help would be great!!!!! When I said green type of oil....it looks almost like forest green. Looks clean as well. No water in it....

Hello?? Anyone anyone at all???

dan4081

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What holes is it leaking from?
Pictures would help.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

You may be leaking lower unit oil from a bad shift rod seal. It is an inexpensive and relatively easy fix if you do it yourself. Smell the oil. Lower unit oil smells like sulphur--way different than engine lubricating oil.

as stated above, a couple of photos would help.

And please don't get so hyper if no one answers in a hour--we all have other lives than the forum and it IS a holiday weekend!

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Tach and stuff 004.jpgTach and stuff 001.jpgPicture 001.jpg
Drain the gearcase and see what's in there?
Just don't remove the slotted screw on the side.
Your drain plug is a allen head scrrew.
The shift rod seal might be the problem?

Benz Mondi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lakerfan, welcome to the Forum and to boating. As you can see from my signature I have a similar boat though the 1983 version. As I like to have all my things is good shape, I tended to also think the worst when it came to any issues with my boat. No worries, as long as you do aren't in a rush, this is the place to get info and the stuff for what you need.

One tip, get real good at taking and attaching pictures even if you are excellent at "word pictures". This group responds much faster to anything with pictures :)