Considering a vintage Mark Twain boat, seeking opinions!

Mbrgr1

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, this is my first post here, looks like a great place for boaters etc.

I am looking at a 1971 Mark Twain V24 with twin 165hp mercruiser straight 6cul motors and R outdrives.

It's in pretty good shape, the stringers and floor seem good, the transom is dry, but the outside transom at the bottom has a peculiar "wave" in it as seen in the pics, and I can't tell if it was that way to start, or indicates something I should worry about. It looks like the drain had been replace at some point, just nor sure about the transom. I tapped all over it and it seems sound, but I'm not a hull expert. As far as the engines and outdrives, they run well and are clean on the inside. They match the seial numbers on the build plate.

Any opinions good or bad are welcomed! Thanks, MK

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Considering a vintage Mark Twain boat, seeking opinions!

Hello, this is my first post here, looks like a great place for boaters etc.

I am looking at a 1971 Mark Twain V24 with twin 165hp mercruiser straight 6cul motors and R outdrives.

It's in pretty good shape, the stringers and floor seem good, the transom is dry, but the outside transom at the bottom has a peculiar "wave" in it as seen in the pics, and I can't tell if it was that way to start, or indicates something I should worry about. It looks like the drain had been replace at some point, just nor sure about the transom. I tapped all over it and it seems sound, but I'm not a hull expert. As far as the engines and outdrives, they run well and are clean on the inside. They match the seial numbers on the build plate.

It probably wasn't that way to start. I think I would steer away from a boat that old. The current owner probably will not allow you to take a core sample: Drill 1/8 diameter - 3/8 deep hole in transom from inside boat as low as you can get. Should be nice dry, bright wood. Hole is then sealed silicone.
Maybe you should post in the restore section. This forum is for motor and drive problems. Guys over there could give you a better opinion on the wave.