turns over hard and wont fire

jorma1

Cadet
I have anew to me 94 crownline with a5.7 mercruiser engine. It ran great all summer. Tried to resart on the lake the other day and it would not fire. Turned over slow so i switched to the other battery, then jumped it with the porta power.Now its been home afew days, it turns alittle more but just wont start. Also makes aloud bang when turning.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: turns over hard and wont fire

Hydrolocked perhaps? Pull the plugs and see if any water comes out of the cylinders.

alldodge

Staff member

Agree with Fishermark with pulling the plugs, they should be able to tell you something.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

pull all of them, note what side and there position and report back

jorma1

Cadet

starboard is wet with water 2,4,6,and 8 port side is dry

jorma1

Cadet

Fishermark,
I read the link you gave me and the engine was dieseling (engine run on) when I tried to shut it off. Also we we were tubing with lots of weight in the back(my sister-in-law) and makingalot of rapid de-accelerations.Two things that let water in the exhust. So what now?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Check the oil - does it have water in it, or is the level higher than normal? If so, change the oil. With the plugs out, turn the engine over a few times and squirt some oil in the cylinders. Put the plugs back in and start the engine. If it starts - then great. Run it to temperature - then check / change the oil again.

You will ultimately need to run it for an extended time on the water to evaporate any traces of water out of the system.

jorma1

Cadet

I pulled the plugs, turned it over to flush the water, squirted some oil in the plug holes.Then I dried and put the plugs back in and it
started right up. After a little smoke it cleared up and the engine sounds great. Iboats forum is invaluable and you guys are great!!!
9 hours ago I didn't have a clue what was wrong or what to do. Fishermark great call and link for info. Any advice on what to do to make sure it doesn't happen again?
Thanks to all Jorma1

jorma1

Cadet

I Got it running last night. The oil is light brown and maybe a little runny (rust colored). I have been looking for something to tell me how much oil to buy (put in after I drain it) most of the day. I have oil type and filter# from the previous owner. I haven't seen the drain plug yet and the filter doesn't look to easy to get at. Any advice

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

a little bit of moisture will burn off once the motor is at operating temp . yous pumps out thru the dipstick, usually 4 + 1 .But always check the dip stick to be sure.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

usually 4 + 1. But always check the dip stick to be sure.

^^^ Yep. And be sure to check the oil when the boat is in the water - that way you ensure the engine is at the proper level to accurately check the oil. When on a trailer it may be at quite an angle and that will give a false reading.

On what to do so it doesn't happen again? Stop the dieseling. Perhaps the rpms are too high on idle. Otherwise be sure to let the engine idle awhile after a hard run to keep the dieseling from happening.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

One more thing.... if it happens again you might want to check your risers to see if they are corroded up. From the sounds of it, your dieseling was probably the cause. BUT - bad risers and / or manifolds are a common problem as well. That's especially true in salt water. You mention a lake - so you may boat in fresh water, but you mention the boat is new to you. Hard to tell where it spent the rest of its life.