Blocking up boats...

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Another post reminded me of something I see quite often. I see boats on cinder blocks - not a problem in and of itself - but with the stern blocks situated parallel to the boat. This is probably fine if the boat is only on one block, sitting low to the ground, but if you stack several, you won't have much stability side to side.<br /><br />When blocking the boat, if you're using cinder blocks, use full size blocks. Set the bow blocks perpendicular to the keel for lateral stability. Set the stern blocks at 45-degrees to the boat at the outer most possible spot on the bottom. This way the boat will be less likley to rock front to back or side to side. <br /><br />If you're not blocking it on a paved surface, place a large chunk of 3/4-inch (or thicker) plywood on the ground so that the blocks won't sink into the ground. 2-foot square should be plenty. If the ground tends to be VERY soft, then I'd look for somewhere else to park it.<br /><br />If the boat is larger than 18-foot you may want to add another stack of blocks on the keel at amidships to help support it a bit more and prevent the hull from distorting.<br /><br />I'm sure other folks have their own methods, but this has worked well for me. Work safe guys...<br /><br />- Scott

garrett61

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Blocking up boats...

whats the easiest way to get it off the trailer bust still be able to get it back on after i paint it?

MortenH

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Blocking up boats...

I do the following procedure on a regular base without problems:<br /><br />For this to work, the blocks have to be a couple of inches lower than the trailer.<br />To get it off, I take a rope and tie the boat to a pole, a three or something solid. Then I use my drive my truck 2-3 feet forward, one buddy holding the boat so it dont tip over. Then I place my blocks under the stern of the boat. Then, carefully I drive forward until I have room for the second block under the bow. Secure the boat so it will stand steady on the blocks and drive off withe the truck and trailer.<br /><br />When it is time to put the boat back on the trailer, I align the trailer, disconnected from the truck, in the right posistion, put the rear roller under the bow. I then presses the front of the trailer down, lifting the bow of the boat off the blick. Then, just winch the trailer under the boat, making sure the boat doesn't move. It is good practice to have two buddyes holding the boat on each side to prevent it from moving. Loading or unloading is finished in less than 15 minutes.<br /><br />Please feel free to ask questions if I have not been able to explain the process good enough - I am from Norway...<br /><br />I do this every year as I have the boat placed in tha water in a marina in the summer, and on blocks in my garden in the winter, and I don't have a trailer of my own.<br /><br />-M-