need advice on a repair

Mbison7

Cadet
I was removing my stringers during my boat restore and my tool went through my boat :blue:
just wanted some advice on what the best option to repairing this is. some info on the boat its an 84 doral 19" original gel coat. any help would be appreciated. thanks
here r the pics of the inside and outside of each hole.
crack 2.jpgcrack 3.jpgcrack 4.jpgcrack.jpg

Mbison7

Cadet
Re: need advice on a repair

Just the two in the pictures. One is about a foot and the other about 4-5 inches

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Fiberglass those from both inside and out before you set the stringers. Don't worry......just add those to your repair list. It has been happening to allot of people for more years then any of us can remember.

Mbison7

Cadet

Fiberglass those from both inside and out before you set the stringers. Don't worry......just add those to your repair list. It has been happening to allot of people for more years then any of us can remember.

Thanks a lot! Do I just use epoxy resin with cloth?

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer

Probably should keep my 2 cents out but couldn't he mix gel coat to match, cover the gash on the gel side with vinyl tape, fill the gash from the inside with gel coat and then after setting sand & glass over it from the inside?

My impression was his concern with the gel coat finish.

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Your definitely not alone. I did the same cutting out my old floor. Haven't thought about the repair yet as I've still got the stringers and transom to remove and lots of grinding (and hopefully won't slice through the hull anymore) but from what I understand the repair isn't a big deal and can be done a number of ways. I think wood suggested on another thread backing the outside with Formica and filling with PB and glass on the inside then gel and fairing on the outside. Im sure he'll be around to give you a good method to follow. Ill be following yours so let us know how you make out.

Mbison7

Cadet

Your definitely not alone. I did the same cutting out my old floor. Haven't thought about the repair yet as I've still got the stringers and transom to remove and lots of grinding (and hopefully won't slice through the hull anymore) but from what I understand the repair isn't a big deal and can be done a number of ways. I think wood suggested on another thread backing the outside with Formica and filling with PB and glass on the inside then gel and fairing on the outside. Im sure he'll be around to give you a good method to follow. Ill be following yours so let us know how you make out.

Ya that's similar to the methods I read about! I also read of someone taping something solid with wax on it and taping it to the outside and then filling the hole from the inside with cloth pieces and epoxy resin! Then putting three layers of biaxle with resin also on the inside.

Mbison7

Cadet

I'm also glad to see I'm not alone I started to panic when I saw it

matt167

Captain

Don't worry about it... I actually used an oscilating saw to 'dissect' a hole in the deck of my Custom Craft to see how it was made below deck, and because of the hull construction not using plywood where I cut, I saw daylight thru the bottom of the hull..

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Grind it down on the inside 3-4inches all around to fresh glass. Wipe clean with acetone. Put some tape over the slice on the outside. fill the slice with thickened resin on the inside. Apply poly resin and a layer of 1.5 oz CSM mat that's 1" larger than the crack. Then apply another one that's 3" larger Then a final layer of 1708 Biaxial fabric 5" larger. On the outside sand the area then use a preval sprayer to apply 3-4 coats of gelcoating. There's more details but that's generally all there is to it

GWPSR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It's best to bevel both sides of the wound, inside and out, and then build up the repair with layers of csm and/or lightweight cloth in each side.

See this 4-part series for a good tutorial:

SAT_Bob

Seaman

12" would have been nice! My son and I cut about a 5 foot gash in our hull. Wood will help you out, he's gonna be helping me when I get to that point in my project.

From everything I've read you're in good company. :)

Mbison7

Cadet

Thanks a lot everyone, this site is so helpful with such nice people. I'm gonna go with woods method. I will keep u guys posted

Mbison7

Cadet

Grind it down on the inside 3-4inches all around to fresh glass. Wipe clean with acetone. Put some tape over the slice on the outside. fill the slice with thickened resin on the inside. Apply poly resin and a layer of 1.5 oz CSM mat that's 1" larger than the crack. Then apply another one that's 3" larger Then a final layer of 1708 Biaxial fabric 5" larger. On the outside sand the area then use a preval sprayer to apply 3-4 coats of gelcoating. There's more details but that's generally all there is to it

will 3 layers just on the inside be strong enough?

pyrotek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is there any advantage to thickening some gelcoat and puttying it on the outside? Just to fill in the groove to make it flush, then spraying on top of that?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

3 Layers on the inside for a narrow slice is more than sufficient. On the outside, You may want to sand/grind a bit and then a apply a layer or two of 1.5 oz CSM then sand and fair and then Gelcoat to ensure you have adequate bonding and a bit of additional strength. Won't hurt anything. No 1708 needed on the outside IMHO!! How thick is the glass on the hull?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Is there any advantage to thickening some gelcoat and puttying it on the outside? Just to fill in the groove to make it flush, then spraying on top of that?

The slice should be filled with thickened resin and Patched from the inside to give the strength to the glass. Gelcoat is purely cosmetic and for added waterproofing. If the glass has not been damage and only the gelcoat has been gouged out then thickened gelcoat can be used to fill the gouge.