Liberator exhaust

87lib

Recruit
I have a 1987 four winns liberator 211, 350 Mercruiser with thru hull exhaust. Anyone know what options and approximate cost to install a captains choice type exhaust? I like the sound but would like to be able to have the boat quiet at times. Thank you.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Liberator exhaust

Thru hull exhausts are not better for power than stock exhausts, they are just a whole lot louder. Those of us that live on the water like the quietness of stock set-ups. Why not just go stock?

87lib

Recruit

The boat came with thru hull exhaust when I purchased. Not sure what is involved to switch to the standard exhaust. I will check with the local marina.

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer

OP, you might also check out the potential to just add a muffler to your TH system, maybe ask Eddie Marine or one of the other performance outfitters. Otherwise, you'll at least need a Y pipe diverter to reroute exhaust back down through your outdrive. Depending upon how your boat was put together, the latter could require pulling the engine, not sure of your configuration.

FWIW, through hull exhaust can add both HP and MPG, as well as reduce heat in the engine bay and lower leg. Yes, they are also louder.

Let us know how you make out.

Last edited:

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Is it a side exit exhaust or does it exit through pipes out the transom?

If it is side exit, there are probably mufflers already. If it is out the transom it is probably straight.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Moose, I think you are mistaken about thru hull exhaust adding HP and MPG. I have never seen reliable info on that.

Thru the prop exhausts pull the exhaust gases out of the motor, when on plane. Since there is no backpressure, exhaust is very efficient.

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer

^If so, then a lot of H.O. Performance boats sure spend a lot of money just to annoy you.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Moose, I am not talking about race boats. I am discussing production boats with standard cast iron exhaust manifolds. There is no advantage to having open pipes on those motors. Thru the hub is as good or better than open pipes. If you want to talk perfomance boats with tuned exhaust systems, that is a different topic.

And yes, when my whole deck shakes and the noise is deafining, I do get annoyed. Makes me wonder what physical defect the boat owner is trying to overcome. Small brain or something else.