is my engine seized ?

spuddie

Cadet
hi , im new to boating scene just bought a project boat picton mardi gras 180 with suzuki dt 115 1983 , not too clued up about outboards , my question is crank wont turn manually or with battery start is it seized & is there anything i can do to unsieze or is it scrap ? , thanks in advance

T_Herrod

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: is my engine seized ?

If the motor is stuck from rust or a stuck ring you may be able to get it loose. If it has bearing trouble probably not. Either way you are in for some serious work and expense.

hi , im new to boating scene just bought a project boat picton mardi gras 180 with suzuki dt 115 1983 , not too clued up about outboards , my question is crank wont turn manually or with battery start is it seized & is there anything i can do to unsieze or is it scrap ? , thanks in advance

first thing to do is to pull the lower unit to see if the lower is seized or the motor. post back what you find and we can go from there.

spuddie

Cadet

hi , i have removed the head & the bottom piston & spark plug were rusty - the other 3 look ok , what exactly is being referred to as " lower unit " ? , excuse my ignorance just dont want to scrap engine if there is a possibility it can be saved , thanks again

the lower unit is the piece that the prop attaches to. Its also where the water pump and gears are located (can be called lower gearcase). Can you post some pictures of the damadge as it may be savable depending if its surface rust or if its rust that's pitted the surface. Get some wd40 or other penetrating oil on the rust so it stops getting any worse.

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

even if engine is seized lower unit has value.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

rust in a cylinder in never good, possible you have rust on crank and bearing also/
Will have to take apart to see what all is bad and then try and find where the water came from

spuddie

Cadet

rust in a cylinder in never good, possible you have rust on crank and bearing also/
Will have to take apart to see what all is bad and then try and find where the water came from

hi all , have taken lower unit off & turns fine - managed to get piston free by hitting with a piece of wood , it looks like only the bottom piston was affected & once lubricated some more with diesel oil & cranked by hand for approx 20 mins it all loosened up to the stage it was turning very smoothly - then hooked up battery & turned over in small bursts all seems ok , the motor had been sitting for approx 3 years with minimal protection - may this be the cause as it freed relatively easy ? .so my next question is im gona put ti back together & try start it this weekend - do i need to clen out the release agent & oil i have used & if so how do i do it & any further info before i try start would be greatly appreciated , thanks

spuddie

Cadet

hi all , have taken lower unit off & turns fine - managed to get piston free by hitting with a piece of wood , it looks like only the bottom piston was affected & once lubricated some more with diesel oil & cranked by hand for approx 20 mins it all loosened up to the stage it was turning very smoothly - then hooked up battery & turned over in small bursts all seems ok , the motor had been sitting for approx 3 years with minimal protection - may this be the cause as it freed relatively easy ? .so my next question is im gona put ti back together & try start it this weekend - do i need to clen out the release agent & oil i have used & if so how do i do it & any further info before i try start would be greatly appreciated , thanks

micel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oils will just burn off,no steel wool shavings though!

spuddie

Cadet

well guys managed to get engine running today - took a wee while to start but once running sounds great however not pumping water ( possibly because not getting good seal on the muffs so lower unit out & getting checked today - water does come out peehole with hose directl attached with lower unit off so here's hoping , thanks to all for the advice :D